I Guess This Antenna Is Big Enough

Ward Silver

Feb 4, 2021, 12:52:14 PM2/4/21
to hamsci
Imagine having an antenna that is so big an international treaty is required to build it!

73, Ward N0AX

Joe Dzekevich

Feb 4, 2021, 12:59:42 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Ward,

Looks like a great spot for a future EME contest site.  LOL.

Joe, K1YOW

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

n5pa

Feb 4, 2021, 1:16:48 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Ward:

This reminds me of the program our Astronomy Club is involved with.

This is the Sangre Telescope at Rainwater Observatory in French Camp, MS. It is a 0.65m
f/8 Ritchey-Chretien telescope and is part of the Las Cumbres Global Telescope Network. The operating network currently consists of two 2 meter telescopes, nine 1 meter telescopes, and seven 40 cm telescopes, placed at six astronomical observatories. The network operates as a single, integrated, observing facility, using a software scheduler that continuously optimizes the planned observing schedule of each individual telescope.

You can see the large observatory that houses the large telescope on the right. You can do amazing astrophotography with it, even without stacking the images.

Same technique as the Square Kilometer Array will use. It is the same theory as stacking antennas for more gain.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com

On Feb 4, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Ward Silver <hwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Imagine having an antenna that is so big an international treaty is required to build it!

73, Ward N0AX

Frank M. Howell

Feb 4, 2021, 1:23:15 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Great post, Alan.

Most outside MS wouldn’t know that this is a high school’s observatory! They also have a FM station...and magnificent bakery.

73,

Frank
K4FMH

On Feb 4, 2021, at 12:16 PM, n5pa <n5pa....@gmail.com> wrote:

Ward:

This reminds me of the program our Astronomy Club is involved with.

<sangre.jpg>

This is the Sangre Telescope at Rainwater Observatory in French Camp, MS. It is a 0.65m
f/8 Ritchey-Chretien telescope and is part of the Las Cumbres Global Telescope Network. The operating network currently consists of two 2 meter telescopes, nine 1 meter telescopes, and seven 40 cm telescopes, placed at six astronomical observatories. The network operates as a single, integrated, observing facility, using a software scheduler that continuously optimizes the planned observing schedule of each individual telescope.

<solar08.jpg>

[...]

n5pa

Feb 4, 2021, 1:38:11 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Frank:

Rainwater Observatory is a real gem!  My wife and I built the Solar Observatory there. I bet they are glad AE5LG, Jarrod Marsh is back in Starkville and teaching at the University. He was ramrodding the big scope until he finished his PhD in Physics.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com

Frank M. Howell

Feb 4, 2021, 1:40:57 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Yep, thanks go to Martin Jue who picked up Jarrod when his Navy job ended. He worked directly for Martin over the six months or so he was at MFJ.

FB on the solar observatory founding!

Frank

On Feb 4, 2021, at 12:38 PM, n5pa <n5pa....@gmail.com> wrote:

Frank:

n5pa

Feb 4, 2021, 1:51:10 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Frank:

Solar Observing is my favorite type of observing, especially during solar maximum. But I will drag out the 11” Celestron to do some Astrophotography.

This was the Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction on December 21, 2020.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com

Khan Tran

Feb 4, 2021, 2:05:10 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow. That’s a beautiful picture.

n5pa

Feb 4, 2021, 2:20:48 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Khan! I did not think I would get that shot again in my lifetime.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 1:51 PM n5pa <n5pa....@gmail.com> wrote:
Frank:

Solar Observing is my favorite type of observing, especially during solar maximum. But I will drag out the 11” Celestron to do some Astrophotography.

<image.jpg>

Joseph Johnston

Feb 4, 2021, 3:03:34 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome!

n5pa

Feb 4, 2021, 3:05:01 PM2/4/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I consider myself an amateur Astrophotographer!

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com