Experience with LOL HF time signal in Buenos Aires

Gareth Perry

Dec 3, 2020, 3:12:35 PM12/3/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

e-POP RRI (https://epop.phys.ucalgary.ca/rri/) is targetting the LOL HF station (10 MHz) located in Buenos Aires, Argentina for some December 14 eclipse related studies.  Does anyone have any experience with this station in terms of accuracy, reliability, etc.?  I’ve been monitoring the station on KiwiSDR and everything seems to be working as far as I can tell.  There’s a bit of information online, but I thought it might be a good idea to check with the HamSCI crew as well.  Cheers,

- Gareth

Gareth W. Perry, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research
New Jersey Institute of Technology
104C Tiernan Hall, 161 Warren Street
Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Office Phone:  +1-973-596-5802
Email:  gpe...@njit.edu
KD2SAK

Kristina Collins

Dec 3, 2020, 4:55:19 PM12/3/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gareth,

For the Eclipse Festival I'm asking people to make WAV recordings around 10 MHz, which includes PPE (Brazil) as well as LOL (Argentina). I've heard PPE on South American KiwiSDRs but haven't been able to pick up LOL, which was part of the reason I went with 10 MHz instead of 5 MHz. I did email the folks at PPE a while ago but didn't hear back; I have not contacted LOL. There's also YVTO, but I don't think that one is still running.

I have a map of South American time standard stations relative to the path of totality on the experiment page: https://hamsci.org/december-2020-eclipse-festival-frequency-measurement

Which frequency will you be monitoring?

-KC

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Ethan Miller K8GU

Dec 4, 2020, 6:01:37 AM12/4/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Gareth,

Are you familiar with this BIPM publication? Perhaps it will provide
some more information.

ftp://ftp2.bipm.org/pub/tai/annual-reports/bipm-annual-report/TIMESIGNALS/timesignals.pdf

Good luck!

--Ethan.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 3:12 PM Gareth Perry <gpe...@njit.edu> wrote:

> --
> Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
> ---

http://www.k8gu.com/
Repair. Re-use. Re-purpose. Recycle.

Bill Liles

Dec 4, 2020, 7:20:05 AM12/4/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ethan.  This document included some information about LF and VLF time stations that I did not know.

Again, thanks.
Bill, NQ6Z

Ing. Juan Carlos Parra

Dec 4, 2020, 12:26:13 PM12/4/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Dear Gareth and other friends,

For several weeks we have been following, with special attention, the experiments proposed at: https://hamsci.org/december-2020-eclipse-festival-frequency-measurement on the occasion of the eclipse on December 14th.

In this regard I make the following comments:

1- The information about LOL published on that page is not correct. The station depends on the Buenos Aires Naval Observatory - Naval Hydrography Service - and not on the University of Córdoba.

2- The transmission plant is located in the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, in the port area, very close to the Rio de la Plata. The exact position is: 34 37.320  S and 58 21.289W.

3- From  several years ago the transmission scheme has been changed to:

            Monday to Friday 1400 to 1500 (UTC) 10 MHz only.

4- In the spirit of collaborating with the development of the experiments, I have personally contacted the Navy managers and operators of the station, requesting that the transmission period to be extended to 24 hours before and after the eclipse in order to have the signal available for measurements and comparations.

The station has restricted its op hours due to the age of the equipment and damage in the radiating systems. However, at the moment they are working to see the possibility of applying repairs that allow to fulfill the request. We are still not sure that the operation can be ensured as we wish. I´m in close wassap contact with the main manager and following such jobs.

5 -At the same time, my friends Andrés LU3HO and Alejandro LU8YD have planned and organized several experiences to be carried out locally in LF and MF frequencies.

You can see the details at: https://www.lu4aa.org/wp/experimento-propagacion-eclipse-solar-2020/

As soon as we have information on the availability of LOL station I´ll coment that.

Greetings from Ing. Juan Carlos Parra LU9DO

logoPARRAconsultores

Ing. Juan Carlos Parra    Chacabuco 2312  (B1636AZF)  OLIVOS   Prov. de Buenos Aires  Argentina
(  TEL :  4791-5935  Ê  FAX :  4796-5911  È  Cel: 15-5638-5046

*   i...@parraconsultores.com.ar    8  www.parraconsultores.com.ar

--

Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Libre de virus. www.avast.com
image001.jpg

Gareth Perry

Dec 4, 2020, 2:06:50 PM12/4/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - I’ve finally found a few minutes to reply to them.

After reading through Kristina and Ethan’s response, I now realize that I was hearing PPE in KiwiSDR, not LOL.  Clearly I had confused myself with their transmission schedules, likely due my lack of understanding of Spanish and Portuguese.  RRI will be tuned into 10 MHz (it’ll be switching between 10 MHz and VLF during its measurements).  Our eclipse related operations will start tomorrow and take place for the rest of the month.

 In the spirit of collaborating with the development of the experiments, I have personally contacted the Navy managers and operators of the station, requesting that the transmission period to be extended to 24 hours before and after the eclipse in order to have the signal available for measurements and comparations.

Thank you very much - that’s very good of you!  I’m curious, how does LOL deal with being on the same frequency as PPE?  Does that not cause some issues?  Please keep us informed on your request.

At the same time, my friends Andrés LU3HO and Alejandro LU8YD have planned and organized several experiences to be carried out locally in LF and MF frequencies.

Very awesome - the more the merrier!  I’ll keep a close eye on this website.

Thanks again everyone for their comments.  Be well and stay safe!

- Gareth

On Dec 4, 2020, at 12:26 PM, Ing. Juan Carlos Parra <lu9d...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<image001.jpg>

Ing. Juan Carlos Parra

Dec 10, 2020, 4:09:55 PM12/10/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Dear Gareth et all.

I update. : I just contacted the LOL manager and they finished booting the time drivers. We agree that tomorrow Friday 11th from 06.00 to 12.00 UTC they go on the air for verifications. From Sunday 13th at 03:00 UTC until Tuesday 15th at 03:00 UTC it will be on the air continuously. After, they continue with the usual hours. So, during eclipse time LOL will be on the air !

Best regards from LU9DO

Imagen quitada por el remitente.

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/!%26!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAI9cG8oSNoBNiIlgsEpEK9/CgAAAEAAAAIyqprvtOwtKv2CiMMyfbjYBAAAAAA%3D%3D%40gmail.com.

--

Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

image001.jpg

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Dec 10, 2020, 4:25:59 PM12/10/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Juan Carlos. That is great news. I appreciate your effort!

73 Nathaniel W2NAF