June 2021 Eclipse Festival, 7-12 June

Kristina Collins

May 26, 2021, 8:01:22 AM5/26/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'd like to call your attention to this upcoming campaign to collect Doppler data during the annular eclipse in June:
https://hamsci.org/june-2021-eclipse-festival-frequency-measurement

There will be an optional practice period this weekend on May 30th, and the primary campaign will run from 7-12 June. Participation will require an HF radio (with GPSDO if possible) connected to a computer running Audacity.

Thanks and 73,
-KC

Khan Tran

May 26, 2021, 8:08:31 AM5/26/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Morning Kristina,

I maybe able to participate. I’ll be sure to be ready for the practice session. Most likely I’ll be in Wyoming during that time.

73,
Khan KE8QWB

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Joseph Johnston

May 26, 2021, 6:10:20 PM5/26/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I do not have a VHF set, but I would be interested in viewing the eclipse if it is visible from NJ.

HL Serra

May 29, 2021, 10:03:23 AM5/29/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kristina-
My pal Ward N0AX suggested I contact you re the PSWS Project. I read the Tangerine material online, and had a few questions.
Qs:
1. Did I read that you are looking for data timestamping down to u-secs for the project? I don't see how with all the latency slop of the internet and ISPs you can get that from networked ham SDRs, unless the participants locally record time-stamped data with a GPSDO SDR and forward those files to you. Even recording data locally with a GPSDO trigger generally only gives one second timestamps triggered by a 1PPS pulse. Am I missing something here?

2. I have an SDR-IQ that will record time-stamped data locally at up to 0.02 sec intervals, and a GPSDO RACAL RA6790/GM navy rcvr that reads frequency to 1 Hz (and also provides an output of its 55kHz IF). I also have an HP 3325A Synthesizer/Function generator which can be GPSDOed and parse freq down to 1/1000 Hz. I used these before in Nathan's Total Solar Eclipse Propagation experiment a few years ago to monitor Doppler Shift of CHU and WWV, and it worked fine in an FMT test where I was in the top tier for accuracy. Shouldn't this gear be adequate for the PSWS?

3. For the Solar Eclipse we recorded the Doppler Shift locally with Spectrum Lab, then sent the files to Nathan, but you seem to want Audacity recordings-- are they time-stamped?

4. I am in the middle of the WPX CW Contest right now, so probably can't get all the gear set up for your practice test today, but I can probably put the SDR-IQ on CHU or WWV and send you the MS EXCEL Continuum data file with 0.02 sec timestamped data intervals. Will that work?

73, Larry N6NC

HL Serra

May 29, 2021, 10:14:36 AM5/29/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the email questions to Kristina I mistakenly sent to the entire HAMSCI group. Up too late last night in WPX CW.
73, Larry N6NC