HamScience Zoom Telecon, Today, 23 May, 2000 UTC

Gary Mikitin, AF8A

May 23, 2024, 6:56:08 AMMay 23
to HamSCI
Greetings All - Today we'll be holding our weekly HamScience Zoom telecon:  Thursday, May 23 at 2000 UTC, or 4PM ET.

Agenda topics:

1) Dayton/Xenia Hamvention Wrapup:   Comments welcome from those who attended.

2)  Guided discussion on the scientific method.  Pick up/review where we left off a few weeks ago.  In past weeks, Dr. West suggested that we perform visual analysis of the HF Doppler shift plots viewable on the Univ. of Alabama/HamSCI Central Control system.  Symmetry and the number of modes visible on the graphs during the April 8 eclipse were to be noted and graphed, looking for correlations to receiver distance from transmitter, frequency, local time of eclipse, etc.

3) We had a request on a past call to delve into the group's knowledge of the sporadic E propagation mode.  The summer solstice is approaching - typically a good time for sporadic E to occur in the Northern Hemisphere.  Is there anyone in the group with knowledge to share?

Recall that the main purpose for this telecon is to cover the science aspects of HamSCI's activities.  Comments, questions, planning related to the science aspects of any of the HamSCI's many projects are welcome.  We can easily add things to the agenda - a call for agenda items will be the first topic every week.

New attendees are always welcome

Link and Call in info below.

73 de Gary, AF8A

https://scranton.zoom.us/j/286316405?pwd=QWdwMlFPbDlYeXg5ZDg1dmYzeFdCUT09

Meeting ID: 286 316 405

Passcode: hamsci

Dial in:

  +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

   +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

   +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)

   +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Joe Dzekevich

May 23, 2024, 10:33:10 AMMay 23
to HamSCI
Hi Gary and crew,

I saw the item on sporadic E in the telecon announcement.  I am unable to make the telecon (doing music at a nursing home), but in the doc area on the HamSCI web site under my name are PDFs of my QST and CQ magazine articles on how weather affects sporadic E.  Just a FYI.  Sporadic E has always been near and dear to my heart.

Joe
K1YOW

Gary Mikitin, AF8A

May 23, 2024, 3:33:24 PMMay 23
to HamSCI
Joe is correct...there's an interesting collection of Sporadic E information on hamsci.org.  Simply go to the Search Page and look up 'Sporadic E'.  You'll get back three pages of results,  including Joe's articles, as noted above.

This is a good reminder that hamsci.org is a great resource for all things 'space weather', including articles, posters, links to peer reviewed articles, past events such as as the SEQP, Eclipse Festivals, Workshops, and much more.

73 de AF8A

Joe Dzekevich

May 23, 2024, 3:36:09 PMMay 23

--------------------

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Mary Lou West

May 23, 2024, 3:51:19 PMMay 23
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I just watched the video of Phil Erickson presenting Joe’s work at the Hamsci meeting in 2017.

https://hamsci.org/publications/upper-level-lows-and-six-meter-50-mhz-sporadic-e

Interesting.

Mary Lou

Phil Erickson

May 23, 2024, 3:56:17 PMMay 23
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

  Please remember that nearly everything I presented was Joe's effort as a citizen scientist.  I was just the messenger.  He's really good.

73
Phil W1PJE

--
----
Phil Erickson

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

May 23, 2024, 4:12:41 PMMay 23
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry, I accidentally quit zoom meeting. Please re-join now.  Thank you!

73 de Nathaniel

On May 23, 2024, at 6:56 AM, Gary Mikitin, AF8A <gmikit...@gmail.com> wrote:

WARNING: This message originated from a source outside of the university.

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Please use your best judgment when opening attachments, clicking links, or replying to this email. Questions or concerns should be directed to the Technology Support Center at (570) 941-4357 or techs...@scranton.edu.

Kerry Case

Jun 6, 2024, 9:08:40 PMJun 6
to ham...@googlegroups.com

I am running the GP2 and it works fine excepted the hard drive power supply is creating a noise level on my ham radio from an S2 up to a S6 is anyone else having this problem

And how can I fix it?

Kerry

N1URT

Sent from Mail for Windows