HamSCI Workshop Day 2, Recordings and Presentation Files, N6NC Publishes in QEX

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 18, 2023, 5:32:14 AM3/18/23
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Today is day two of the HamSCI workshop! We will be live on Zoom from 1230 UTC to 1620 UTC. This morning program features welcome remarks from the ARRL, a presentation from NASA Headquarters Scientist Dr. Esayas Shume, and our invited speakers Dr. Joseph Huba on “Plasma Modeling with SAMI3”  followed by Jesse Alexander WB2IFS from the NRAO on “The Ham Radio Project: Exploring the Electromagnetic Spectrum,” a recruitment and inclusion program for amateur radio.  After, we will be hearing from a Global Finalist team from the NASA 2022 Space Apps Challenge, plus talks on making space data audible for citizen science, studying the aurora with citizen science in North Dakota, and about the experiences of a HamSCI member who participated in amateur radio citizen science experiments in the 1957/1958 International Geophysical Year.

I know people are asking about recordings and presentation files. I will be posting links to the raw, unedited recordings on the HamSCI Workshop page over the next couple of days so they will be available almost immediately. Jason Johnston KC5HWB of Ham Radio 2.0 will be working on editing the individual talks over the next few months for permanent archiving. I will also be posting the presentation files once I get the final, public versions from the presenters.

Also, one of our members, Larry N6NC, recently published two articles in QEX regarding propagation between the US and Japan and how to build "A Make-Do Ham Interferometer To Determine Elevation Angles of Arriving RF Signals". Go check it out over here: https://hamsci.org/article/n6nc-publishes-propagation-research-articles-qex.

73 de Nathaniel W2NAF

Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF

Assistant Professor

Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering

University of Scranton

HamSCI Lead