HamSCI Bi-Weekly Thursday Telecon Sept 2nd - Call for Presenters

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Aug 27, 2021, 2:21:50 PM8/27/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Now that the academic year is starting up again, we are going to bring back the Thursday HamSCI 3 PM Eastern (1900z) bi-weekly telecon. The next one will be this Thursday, Sept 2nd on Zoom at https://scranton.zoom.us/j/286316405?pwd=QWdwMlFPbDlYeXg5ZDg1dmYzeFdCUT09.

Note that the calendar with the meeting schedule is posted at https://hamsci.org/get-involved#Calendar.

We need speakers, so please let me know if you would like to present. We are looking for talks or discussions that are of interest to ionospheric and amateur radio science. You don’t need to have a complete result; we welcome in-progress work for open community discussion.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want to present!

73 Nathaniel W2NAF

—
Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
HamSCI Lead
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506

Bob McGwier

Aug 27, 2021, 3:07:35 PM8/27/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Nathaniel:

I am putting in a grant proposal to build our first research grade Ionosonde in Blacksburg.  It will initially be Zig Zag LPDA and crossed active dipoles for receive (fancy ones from R&S).   I am assuming the proposal will be accepted and that the work will begin slowly this Fall and pick up steam for next Semester.  I would like to schedule a talk as soon as that grant is accepted.

You may have seen me post an "advert" announcement on QRM.

Bob

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
---

Dr Bob McGwier
Founder, Federated Wireless, Inc
Founder and Technical Advisor, HawkEye 360, Inc
ARDC, member Board of Directors
Adjunct Professor Virginia Tech
Former Chief Scientist:  The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology
Senior Member IEEE, Facebook: N4HYBob, ARS: N4HY

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Aug 27, 2021, 3:26:12 PM8/27/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Bob.

That's great! Good luck with the proposal. I'll be happy to have you present when you are ready.

Thanks and 73,
Nathaniel W2NAF

Get Outlook for Android

Aug 28, 2021, 12:26:24 PM8/28/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I am going to also use it to prepare devices for ham use and for the eclipse.   I am doing overkill for that.  The active cross pole receive antennas cost $16000!!

The Zig Zag LPDA will be transmit antenna #2.  Transmit antenna #1 will be low dipoles.

This should be fun.

Bob

Khan Tran

Aug 30, 2021, 8:02:34 AM8/30/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Morning Nathaniel,

Thanks for the update. I don't have class on Thursdays this semester so I may be able to attend. Just added hamsci calendar to my calendar too.

73, Khan KE8QWB

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Aug 30, 2021, 2:29:30 PM8/30/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Great, Khan! Thanks for the e-mail, and I’m looking forward to seeing you.

73 Nathaniel W2NAF