Troubleshooting an ailing Grape 2

Gary Lyons

Apr 23, 2024, 12:36:22 PMApr 23
to hamsci-grape
Greetings all,

I still have my Grape 2 connected to a monitor. I periodically turn off the monitor when not at my desk. Yesterday after lunch I turned on the monitor and was greeted by a blank screen. The Grape 2 seems to be on and collecting data according to the green light and the PPS signal is still blinking.

I switched the HDMI-mini cable to another monitor with the same result. And, checked both monitors to verify they worked as display #2 on the office computer.

This morning I acquired a new HDMI-mini cable with the same results on both available monitors - blank screens.

With other equipment I have used the "hard reset", i.e., remove power for 10-20 seconds then power back up and restart the system.

However, with the Grape 2 I am hesitant to risk disrupting the Rpi or the HDD with a simple pulling the plug without first shutting down the system.

Any suggestions as how to proceed from here?

TIA
Gary AF7T

Dave Hinerman

Apr 23, 2024, 2:04:07 PMApr 23
to hamsci-grape
I've had similar issues with my desktop Linux Mint computer. I use a KVM switch to share a monitor, keyboard, and mouse between it and a Windows computer.

When the Linux box is switched away from the monitor for some period of time it shuts down its video output but everything else keeps running. There's a setting in the Xorg system (the Linux display server) that will cause it to query the display periodically to see if it's still there. With that setting in place my Linux screen will come back up within 10 seconds or so of switching the monitor back over to it.

I don't remember off the top of my head where the setting is. I'll hunt for it and post back here when I find it in case you want to give it a try.

Dave, WD8CIV

David G. McGaw

Apr 23, 2024, 2:10:18 PMApr 23
to hamsci...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem.  I am interested in The Fix.

73,

David N1HAC

On 4/23/24 2:04 PM, Dave Hinerman wrote:

You don't often get email from hine...@gmail.com. Learn why this is important

John Gibbons

Apr 23, 2024, 2:52:37 PMApr 23
to Gary Lyons, hamsci-grape
Gary,

Do you have the VNC client set up?  That's the easiest way to fix the monitor detection issue.

I have a G2 system that I shut the monitor off when I'm not looking at it but it always sees to wake up
when I turn on the monitor.

Did you apply the monitor fix to the /boot/cmdline.txt file?  I have that installed on all my systems and that seems to work well.

John N8OBJ

bblackw...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 3:31:06 PMApr 23
to John Gibbons, Gary Lyons, hamsci-grape

Just in case the screen saver has activated, move the mouse a little to see if it wakes up.

Bill

Dave Hinerman

Apr 23, 2024, 6:04:38 PMApr 23
to hamsci-grape
Gary,

I haven't been able to find that Xorg setting I mentioned earlier. Whatever it was, apparently I didn't make that change on my current system. I'm sorry.

John's suggestion is probably your best bet.

Dave, WD8CIV

Chuck Smyder

Apr 23, 2024, 6:50:23 PMApr 23
to Gary Lyons, hamsci-grape
I had a black screen issue initially when I first connected my 15” monitor. I had a smaller 10” monitor handy which worked and allowed me to do a shutdown. Once I restarted with the new monitor connected & powered, it’s been fine since even with power cycling.

-Chuck KK4HP