Assistance with Grape 2 Unit 1013 - Not Reporting

Kent Petty

Apr 27, 2024, 1:36:40 PMApr 27
to hamsci-grape
Hello all,

It's been reported to me that the Group 2 node here in Nikiski, 1013, is not reporting.  As far as I can tell the unit is running properly.  I performed the installation as indicated in the setup instructions.

Can someone please help me determine what the issue is and how to fix it?

I am in Nikiski this weekend (on site now), Saturday and Sunday.  After that I'm gone for another week.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent Petty, KL5T
Anchorage Amateur Radiio Club
Radio Science and Operations Center
Detachment 1, Nikiski, Alaska
I can be reached at 907.632.3963

Bob Stricklin

Apr 27, 2024, 10:02:08 PMApr 27
to hamsci-grape
Hello Kent,

I do not have a Grape 2 but I do have a Grape 1. Do you know how to view the map of Grape 2 stations reporting? I see a map at:

All of the stations there are RED which would indicate they are not reporting. If this is the live map that may explain what is happening.

Locally you could look for the folder that holdes the data logs and see if you see data being accumulated on your station.

If you see data foe today and previous days that is a good thing.

You could also be sure you station collecting computer (Pi4 I think) has access to the internet by making sure you can ping something like apple.com or microsoft.com. If the computer can not get out on the internet your data can not be uploaded.

If you know the URL for a different data Map that shows live data you could have a look there and filter on your station KL5T. Then look to see the date of the last file you uploaded. If the data is old and uploads seem to have stopped try to identify a reason for why thinks would stop on that date.

There may be a log file for the Grape 2. You could look for that and review the log file for possible problems.

You could go to the file at /var/log/syslog and look at this file starting from the bottom and see what entries you see there. In the folder /var/log just type cat syslog  ...

Hopefully the whole system is down and when it comes back the data uploads should catch up for everyone but it may take some time if all stations have been stopped.

Others may have better ideas but since you are there for a shot time I thought I would try to help.

Bob N5BRG

Graham c

Apr 28, 2024, 7:28:41 AMApr 28
to hamsci-grape
Kent,

If you are running a Grape1 and using the DRF software ( i.e.not the FLDIGI software) you will need to register your station on the Personal Space Weather Station (PSWS) server web site https://pswsnetwork.caps.ua.edu/home   You will see the reporting stations there on the home page.

Once your station is registered and the software configured with the appropriate credentials, your station will automatically upload it's data every day at midnight UTC.

I see only one station in Alaska near Anchorage simple called Robs station.  If that is your station then it is uploading. If not then it may be a simple of matter of registering and local configuration. If your station is running the FLDIGI version of the software then it will not be shown on the PSWS web page.

Once the uploading sorted out, you will be able to select the [Stations] tab and select [View my Stations] to see your data.

I hope that is of some help.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

Billy

Apr 28, 2024, 8:02:30 AMApr 28
to hamsci-grape
Grape2 devices do not report to the same server as Grape1 devices. I am on the reported list of those not responding also although mine has been collecting data since before the eclipse. There is no reporting mechanism in place for Grape2 upload acknowledgements. I would not touch anything if I were you; I got mildly fussed at for fixing a typo in my crontab after getting help from another user (although that did not fix the problem). I think John is looking into my device specifically tomorrow (Monday) since he requested my device information late Friday afternoon.

bblackw...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2024, 9:26:37 PMApr 29
to Kent Petty, hamsci-grape

Kent,

Your station appears to have uploaded tonight.
The system may have pulled the new version of the script (xfer2repo.sh) that does the transfer.
It should have done that days ago, but if the Internet was down when the git pull ran (daily at 2330Z), it wouldn’t have succeeded.
Just a guess. Also the previous days’ data from your node 1013 appear to have uploaded too.

Let me know if you have any further issues.

73,
Bill AB1XB