[hampi-devel] Will Hampi run in Windows?

Jesper

May 22, 2010, 12:55:37 AM5/22/10
to hampi-devel
Hi,

I'd like to use Hampi for my research.. However, as i am not at all
familiar with unix machine, i'd like to know if it's possible for
Hampi to run in Windows machines?
If yes, any suggestion what are the components or steps i should re-
write/configure/follow?

Thanks in advance
Jesper

Adam Kiezun

May 24, 2010, 12:09:52 PM5/24/10
to hampi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jesper,
I think that as long as you can compile STP on Windows, Hampi could be
made to work on Windows too. I'm not sure if anyone tried so far. It's
much more common for research tools to work on Unix systems (Linux or
Mac). I think, for research purposes, you'd be much better off
installing and learning a unix system. Some are free and easy to
install and work with (eg. Ubuntu). The long-term payoff is huge -
you'll have access to a large collection of tools and analyses you can
build on.

If you were to stay on Windows. The first step would be to compile STP
on Windows (which may have been done before), then you'd need to
recompile the STP JNI bindings to create a DLL file for the Java
machine to load. The last step would be to use this DLL in Hampi.
Alternatively, you could compile STP on windows and adjust the Hampi
code to all STP at command line. This would have a serious performance
penalty though.

./adam

Jesper

May 25, 2010, 10:52:13 AM5/25/10
to hampi-devel
Thanks adam. I will try with Windows first by following your suggested
steps and will feedback if it works.

Jesper