Northern Bobwhite

George Naylor

Jun 17, 2024, 1:50:35 PMJun 17
to HSA Nature Notes, Hambirders
I was coming from the Haldimand admin building in Cayuga, back to Caledonia about 11AM this morning, after a meeting.  I was driving on the S. River Road, just east of Mount Healey, when I spotted a brownish bird in the weedy edge on the N. side of the road.  I'm sure we all do this, especially when driving, but my 1st impression was Mourning Dove? - no - too stocky and a very short tail.  As I approached it, it turned its head toward me briefly before flying back into an overgrown spot with a few low bushes, and it all fell into place; Bobwhite!  The face markings were tan rather than white, so I assumed a female/young bird.  I stopped and grabbed the bins behind my seat, but I couldn't see it or any others. I'm sure this is an escape from captive birds held nearby, but I never heard of them in this area. Nonetheless a pretty mind-blowing experience. George