Black Vulture at RBG Arboretum

David Moffatt

May 30, 2024, 1:05:36 PMMay 30
to hamilt...@googlegroups.com, hsa-nature-notes
This morning, while doing my volunteer transect at the Arboretum,  I had a Black Vulture fly low over my head as it tried to evade pursuing American Crows. It flew from the Boathouse Marsh up and over the Nature Information Centre. The white inner primaries and very short tail provided easy identification in excellent light, and the bird was both chunkier and a more cumbersome flier than TUVUs. I checked any TUVUs I saw for the rest of the morning, but it was not seen accompanying them.

As it seems too late for migration,  I wonder whether this is one of the birds reported more than a month ago, or a vagrant displaced by the recent wild weather in the central USA.

Dave Moffatt

darl...@cogeco.ca

May 30, 2024, 2:14:02 PMMay 30
to David Moffatt, hamilt...@googlegroups.com, hsa-nature-notes

Hi Dave

Black Vultures don’t really migrate in the same way as other raptors, although we do count them at the Niagara Peninsula Hawkwatch.  The records are still valuable, but I think that what we are really measuring is range expansion rather than migration in the traditional sense.

Sandy