Florida Gallinule

George Appleton

Jul 26, 2024, 3:57:57 PM (5 days ago) Jul 26
to hamilt...@googlegroups.com
Attached is a photo I shot 25/7/'24 at the Beverly Marsh. The closest match from my birding books is a Florida Gallinule ( Peterson Field Guide).  Initially there were two. The second was lighter coloured, presumably the female of a mating pair. By the time I had my 200 mm lens maxed & focused she had found a perfect place to hide.
George Appleton
Florida Gallinule.jpg

Joyce Litster

Jul 26, 2024, 7:36:34 PM (5 days ago) Jul 26
to George Appleton, hamilt...@googlegroups.com
It looks like a Common Moorhen to me. I have seen them in the swamp along Safari Road and donated one hit by a car to Mark Peck of ROM a few years ago. I guess some call them Florida Gallinules but my bird books all call them moorhens.
Joyce

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 26, 2024, at 3:57 PM, George Appleton <11po...@gmail.com> wrote:

Attached is a photo I shot 25/7/'24 at the Beverly Marsh. The closest match from my birding books is a Florida Gallinule ( Peterson Field Guide).  Initially there were two. The second was lighter coloured, presumably the female of a mating pair. By the time I had my 200 mm lens maxed & focused she had found a perfect place to hide.
George Appleton

<Florida Gallinule.jpg>

Mary Ann Bastien

Jul 26, 2024, 8:34:39 PM (5 days ago) Jul 26
to Joyce Litster, George Appleton, hamilt...@googlegroups.com

Mary Ann Bastien

Jul 26, 2024, 8:37:41 PM (5 days ago) Jul 26
to Joyce Litster, George Appleton, hamilt...@googlegroups.com
Looks like that to me too! Best, MA