Grebe platform, Burloak Park (Burlington)

Dave Tourchin

Jul 1, 2024, 8:31:23 AMJul 1
to Hamilton Birders
Happy Canada Day, everyone!

Dave here from Bird Friendly Hamilton Burlington.  Just a note that I installed a Red-necked Grebe nesting platform in the cove area off Burloak Waterfront Park in Burlington this weekend.

Yes, it's late in the breeding season, but due to a variety of circumstances, I wasn't able to get it in the water until now.  There's still a chance it could get used this year and, even if not, it's a chance to test it out and make any adjustments. Otherwise, I'll likely pull it out of the water in late July if doesn't get used this year, and get it back in the water in late April/early May next spring.

The bamboo guard is an experimental feature, in hopes of deterring cormorants and gulls from resting on it, and also protection from overhead predators when the Grebes do nest on it.  We'll see how it goes.

If this park is one of your birding patches, please log any Grebe sightings on e-bird.  If you observe any damage or maintenance needed, kindly contact us through our website. I'll be checking on the platform every few days myself as well.

Special thanks to the City of Burlington and Halton Region for approval to install this, and to Friends of Sam Smith in Toronto for sharing their advice and experience with such platforms.

grebe platform burloak.jpg

Dave Tourchin
Co-chair,
Bird Friendly Hamilton Burlington