1400 acre development planned at HPR at the Pedernales

Hugh Winkler

Apr 27, 2021, 8:23:01 AM4/27/21
to Hamilton Pool Road

Paula Priour

Apr 27, 2021, 9:30:48 AM4/27/21
to Hamilton Pool Road
Thanks, Hugh.  This is the Norsworthy property.

Hope Phillips

Apr 29, 2021, 11:47:59 AM4/29/21
to hamilton-pool-road
No Winn/Pedernales: I remember 30-odd years ago when someone asked Norsworthy family members about the eventual fate of their ranch. They reassured everyone that they are an old established Texas family who will never sell. All things pass away it seems.

I can't quite put my finger on the Austin-American Statesman article on development of the Norsworthy Ranch. I know. It smells--of internet robber baron billions. A remarkable pop-up phenomenon, and we are supposed to be grateful. Elon Musk's SpaceX, for one, is doing so much for space exploration. We're supposed to be grateful for that and his electric car at the expense of South Texas refuges, grateful for cutting edge technology that will save the planet even if it destroys South Texas. Exploitation under any other name is still exploitation.

His buddy, Jeff Bezos with a degree from Princeton, is buying up West Texas, not to do anything for his fellow West Texans or repair hopelessly damaged land. Drive across the devastated Llano Estacado sometime and be sure to read the historical markers about what once was a magnificent grassland supporting countless buffalo and indigenous people. Not a blade of grass left, not a buffalo or person. Nothing except occasional oil wells pumping nothing--locusts preying on nothing. But wait. We have to be grateful to Jeff Bezos with his Princeton Degree for building a virtual empire on the backs of below-minimum-wage workers so he can launch himself to Mars from the West Texas wasteland. Now Bezos and Musk can destroy the Red Planet also. Hawley repudiated by his own mentor who got him into Yale for what? To take over the Capitol? And Kushner, with a Harvard degree that cost the Trump family 2.5 million, cozying up to murderous Saudis as his breakthrough diplomacy in the Middle East? Good riddance.

Now we have Steve Winn with his Stanford degree in our own neighborhood that was never to be abandoned by the Norsworthy family. Not only is he building a hotel named for springs that will dry up on its opening, he is developing the property. But we are supposed to be grateful that he is not bulldozing every square inch like every other developer on Hamilton Pool Road. In fact, a biological diversity center will be included as, I assume, a sop to the destruction of Reimers Ranch Park and Hamilton Pool Preserve. We would advise Steve Winn to choose between a hotel or a development, but we know from experience with other developers that if he has to give up his hotel, he will double and maybe triple his development. But again, we are supposed to be grateful because these homes designed by a New Yorker are supposed to be environmentally responsible. Exploitation by any other name...

If Steve Winn wants to do something positive with his internet billions, he should buy out the funky RV Park insisting on almost 100 hookups on 10 acres across from Hamilton Pool Preserve that is blocking access to his neighbors up the hill and blocking traffic to his hotel for that matter. Fortunately, those of us across the river from his hotel (including his Trojan Horse) are used to abandoning our vehicles and hiking through water. Hamilton Pool Road cannot support the traffic that Steve Winn's development will bring. And his neighbors will not support expansion of Hamilton Pool Road from Highway 12 to accommodate his destruction of the Pedernales. Let me quote the wonderful FM 962 ranchers who have been on the river since the Texas Republic to neighbors they don't want or trust: We don't want you here. Hope

Miriam Wright

Apr 29, 2021, 3:38:59 PM4/29/21
to hamilton-...@googlegroups.com
And not one mention of the historic stagecoach stop nor of the spectacular, if unfortunately named, Dead Man’s Hole (or is it Dedman’s(sp?) Hole - a family name). My friend, Jean Norsworthy, is rolling in her grave.

Little Buckaroo Ranch

Patty Christensen

Apr 29, 2021, 4:45:13 PM4/29/21
to hamilton-...@googlegroups.com
So very sad. Is it a done deal?

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2021, at 2:39 PM, Miriam Wright <littlebuc...@gmail.com> wrote:

And not one mention of the historic stagecoach stop nor of the spectacular, if unfortunately named, Dead Man’s Hole (or is it Dedman’s(sp?) Hole - a family name). My friend, Jean Norsworthy, is rolling in her grave.

Hope Phillips

Apr 30, 2021, 1:55:12 PM4/30/21
to hamilton-pool-road
P.S. Someone mentionned to me that Winn's biological diversity center will enable him to get lower taxes on all property not directly taxed. A provision in state law permits this or something like it. If he does buy out the RV Park across from Hamilton Pool Preserve to help out his neighbors and himself, we can't trust him not to develop it. He should make a good-faith sale to Travis County that is protecting 30 other adjacent and threatened acres. Ted Stewart added to Westcave Preserve and made money doing it. His heart was in the right place. I did not mean to get sidetracked on politics. Call me stupid but I thought Hawley was a Democrat. I'm not sure if Kushner is a Republican. Bezos is a Democrat. And Musk is just an a*********. Hope