Hey birders

Paul Riss

Feb 1, 2023, 9:57:46 AM2/1/23
Hello all,

Some of you may know but others may not. Myself and a partner, Dustin, have created a fun and free birding app for both iOS and Android phones. It is called BRDR BATL and it's a fun competitive birding game. This gist of it is this; You create your account, launch the game and select a mode to play (big day or bird themed mode). Then the app creates a grid of birds for you to go and find in real life. You can challenge yourself or a friend(s).

I found it fun to play as an experienced birder because on outings I would find myself expressly searching for a black duck or a cardinal or junco to win a game. Normally I don’t pay quite as much attention to those species so I found that refreshing.

For new birders, it can really help them get out there looking for something specific. In the early days of being a birder, some are left wondering what to go look for sometimes, and this game/app can get you out looking.

As with all birding, this game is entirely based on the honour system.

If anybody downloads the app and wants to do BATL with me, my user name is ’thepaulriss’.

You can learn more here.