Does anyone have nichrome wire

morr...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2024, 12:03:35 PMMar 4
to Halifax Makerspace

Shawn Wilson

Mar 4, 2024, 1:20:18 PMMar 4
to Halifax Makerspace
Hey Bill,
I have this.  I can take to AGM Thursday if you're going?

Shawn

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024, 1:03 p.m. morr...@gmail.com <morr...@gmail.com> wrote:
--

---
20240304_141723.jpg

Doug Couch

Mar 4, 2024, 2:44:00 PMMar 4
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I have about 100' of 28 gauge as well and I can bring that! I have more than enough to construct my foam cutting table!

-Doug

Bill Morrow

Mar 4, 2024, 3:49:21 PMMar 4
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, thanks guys. I am planning to attend the AGM.

morr...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2024, 12:09:16 PMApr 26
to Halifax Makerspace
https://youtu.be/HxKmF-uGMN8

Experiment #1 with getting a glass hemisphere from a lightbulb.

David hamp-gonsalves

Apr 26, 2024, 12:33:45 PMApr 26
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Did you score the glass first?

(very cool experiment)

Bill Morrow

Apr 26, 2024, 12:53:23 PMApr 26
On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 1:33 PM David hamp-gonsalves <davidhamp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did you score the glass first?

No, just tried to get the wire tight. I can see one spot where it isn't tight on the glass. I think a purpose-built piece of PCB with two connections very close together would help too.

David hamp-gonsalves

Apr 26, 2024, 3:43:05 PMApr 26
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
That's amazing. I've tried to cut bulbs before and that thin glass is so hard to work with.

morr...@gmail.com

May 2, 2024, 2:50:05 PMMay 2
to Halifax Makerspace
Second attempt. https://youtu.be/BNoZ2a-c2Lo

I'm open to ideas on how to make the power connector work better. It has two problems:
1) The solder melted, so the wire sagged. I don't think it's expanding that much with the heat
2) Where the wire isn't touching the glass, it gets very hot, and in this case, melted. So it needs to be in contact with the glass everywhere.

Shawn Wilson

May 3, 2024, 12:02:38 AMMay 3
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I have no advice, but the result looks good!