Getting rid of our stuff in storage. Need your help this Saturday.

Adam Cox

May 1, 2023, 11:05:16 AM5/1/23
to Halifax Makerspace

Hey Makers,

After we left our space in Bedford in Summer of 2021 we put our stuff in storage. A friend of mine offered space in his barn for free. We still haven’t heard any concrete news about potential funding and we have already made use of this storage for longer than planned. The time has come to move our stuff out.

The stuff we moved into storage isn’t really worth all that much, and if we paid for storage it would end up costing more than the value of what we are storing. So, given the situation we are just planning to get rid of the stuff. The location of the barn is about 45 minutes outside of the city in West Hants. We have booked a large UHaul truck and are planning to load it up and take it to a nearby landfill. We could use some extra help with loading and unloading and anyone who shows up to help will have an opportunity to take stuff that they would like to divert from the landfill.

I want to set expectations clearly though, while there is some useful stuff, it is not of very high quality or value. We don’t have an inventory of items, and we won’t be able to answer questions about individual items. Things like the laser cutter, 3D printers, and CNC mill have been kept in alternate storage and we are not getting rid of them. The stuff in storage is the bulk of the wood shop, electronics room, and front room from our Bedford space. If there are items that multiple people want then they will go to the highest bidder and the funds will go into the Halifax Makerspace general fund. We need to clear the barn that day so anyone who would like to take anything will need to have the ability to move it and transport it immediately. We will not be saving anything for later dates and we do not have the capability to help bring anything back to the city.

We will be moving on Saturday, May 6th, starting at 9am in West Hants. This is a friends’ personal property so I won’t be posting the address here. But if you’re planning to join please email us at in...@halifaxmakerspace.org and we’ll send the address to you.

And to end on a more positive note, the weather is getting nicer so we’re planning for another social event later in the month. Join us on the evening of Wednesday, May 24th at Good Robot Brewing on Robie St and we’ll hang out on the patio and chat about what we’re making. We’ll send a reminder email out to the mailing list a week ahead when we can check the long-term weather forecast. Fingers crossed for a nice evening.

Thanks,

Adam

On behalf of the board of directors

Bill Morrow

May 2, 2023, 9:10:48 AM5/2/23
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,
I'm not sure the electronic parts will be accepted at a landfill. Lots of heavy metals inside the chips. Same applies to those old oscilloscopes. They should be disposed of the same as an old CRT TV.

If it's mostly the parts in the cases of little drawers, I could probably take those if no one else is interested. I've got some junk here to send to e-cyclers, so could combine them. Should be able to be there May 6th.

--

---