communications protocol for funky colour changing LED string?

morr...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2023, 10:14:14 AM10/5/23
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi all,
Sorry I missed the get together at Good Robot. Looks like it was a good time.

I saw Peter #2(?) had built an ESP32 controlled LED string. Is the string made up of smart LEDs e.g. WS2812B or similar?

Or, hopefully instead it's the mysterious cheaper "fairy light" style like these

I got a broken set of these from a relative. They use some 25 KHz bit polarity-reversing pattern to switch colours. I haven't been able to reproduce it. There's numerous youtube videos, instructables and such, but nothing definitive.

https://youtu.be/gxdgRHmOuIo <-- Julian Illen messing about with (I think) the same component, various suggestions in the comments

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Oct 5, 2023, 2:24:19 PM10/5/23
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

--

---

Bill Morrow

Oct 5, 2023, 3:48:33 PM10/5/23
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks Peter. Those would be a lot easier to deal with. And 2-3 times as much!