Re: Digest for halifaxmakerspace@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Steve Bedard

Jan 10, 2024, 5:45:59 AMJan 10
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
They'll make a big difference. More of a "set it and forget it" heating option. They ought to run continually to maximize efficiency.

This time of year, they'll shut off to defrost on very cold days for 7-10 mins every hour or so (depending on how cold it is). They typically become ineffective at -35C.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024, 6:10 a.m. <halifaxm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"morr...@gmail.com" <morr...@gmail.com>: Jan 09 02:17PM -0800

At a recent HMS show-and-tell, I talked about my array of temperature
sensors, deployed to determine if heat pumps would work to heat our house.
Since then, we got heat pumps installed in mid-December.
Here's the last 30 days of temperatures in and around our house. The warm
colours are near our hot water baseboards, or ambient inside temperature.
The cool colours are outside, in the attic and the exterior of a window.
You can see the baseboards became inactive on December 18th, when the heat
pumps became active. Except for some time over Christmas, when we turned
the bedroom thermostat up a bit for guests.

We got our NS Power bill today. It's up about 20%. Our oil usage is down,
not sure how much, but maybe 40%.

Still early to say anything definitive. We're still learning how to work
with the different style of heating.

[image: Screenshot from 2024-01-09 18-06-21.png]