[phpns-dev] Next Meeting

Trevor Morse

Apr 19, 2010, 10:01:30 PM4/19/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hi Everyone,

Been awhile since the last meeting and wondering if anyone is
interested in getting together again?

On that note, would you prefer to keep it informal and grab a few
beers somewhere, or do like we did the last time and have a bit of a
structured meeting(with free beer, mind you)?

Let me know if your interested and what you think.

Cheers,

Trevor

Shawn Greene

Apr 20, 2010, 9:06:22 AM4/20/10
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Trevor,

I would be in for the next meeting, when were you thinking of having it?

Cheers,
Shawn

Trevor Morse

Apr 20, 2010, 11:51:44 AM4/20/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hey Shawn,

Not sure, anytime in the next couple of weeks or so...I am completely
open. Anytime/day better for you?

Cheers,

Trevor
> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/halifax-ns-php-developers-group?hl=en.

George Anderson

Apr 23, 2010, 10:32:02 AM4/23/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
I would be interested in the next meeting. Let me know when you plan
to have it. I like the idea of a structured meeting or even just plan
a topic beforehand so we can all get something out of it.

George

Trevor Morse

Apr 23, 2010, 10:55:06 AM4/23/10
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

How does the week of May 10 sound? Day of the week doesn't really
matter to me, but how does Wed. the 12 sound?

Would anyone be interested in having a discussion around unit testing
and specifically PHPUnit? I could also talk about the PHPUnit database
extensions as I've been using them pretty heavily while working on
web2project.

-tm

Trevor Morse

Apr 27, 2010, 8:48:21 PM4/27/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hi Everyone,

Let's plan for the 12th.

This time the gracious folks at Azorus have offered to host it at
there office. Which isn't far from Norex where we hosted the last.
Here's a google map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=36+Solutions+Dr,+Halifax,+Nova+Scotia&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.624964,60.292969&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=36+Solutions+Dr,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&t=h&z=16

It is locked with key card access after hours, so as it gets closer
we'll figure out how we are going to get everyone up there.

Finally, if you know of *anyone* doing PHP(or just interested for that
matter) in the Halifax area please let them know about this group. The
more people we have the better discussions/more opinions we can get!
On that note, does anyone have an in at any of the local universities?

Cheers,

Trevor

Trevor Morse

May 11, 2010, 8:03:06 AM5/11/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder about the meeting tomorrow night at the Azorus
offices. Lets shoot for 7:30, I'll bring the beer. :D We'll gather
downstairs and try to go up as a group so we don't have to make too
many trips up and down. However if your running late just give me a
shout on my cell phone 441-9066 and we'll send someone down to bring
you up.

Bring your unit testing stories and questions!

-tm

Trevor Morse

May 13, 2010, 11:11:25 AM5/13/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hi Everyone,

Here are my slides from the meeting last night. Please let me know if
you have any questions, I'd be more then happy to answer them!

-tm
web2project_unit_testing.pdf

D Keith Casey Jr

May 13, 2010, 11:52:36 AM5/13/10
Trevor Morse wrote:
> Here are my slides from the meeting last night. Please let me know if
> you have any questions, I'd be more then happy to answer them!
As one of the chief agitators on web2project, I'll add a bit here:

* Trevor's first submission to the project was a simple Phing script to
run the ~40 tests he'd written at that point. Since then we've expanded
the script to handle packaging, testing, svn changelog generation, and
other sanity check things. It's already saved *days* of effort and
potential mistakes.

* Due to his fresh eyes and new perspective from Unit Testing, we've
closed dozens of bugs and generally eliminated some odd behavior
inconsistencies. It's also prevented quite a few other bugs from making
it into core.

* Personally, I think our next step should be using something like
Hudson - http://hudson-ci.org/ - with post-commit hooks to do real
Continuous Integration with Code Coverage reports.

The Unit Testing - led by Trevor - has done some great things for the
project and made things move much faster than we could before.

My 0.02,
keith

--
D. Keith Casey, Jr.