Development Environments

Trevor Morse

May 26, 2010, 10:18:02 AM5/26/10
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hey Guys,

I've been in search of the perfect IDE the last couple of months and
just wondering what everyone else is using. So just a quick informal
poll! :-)

I'll start. I've flopped between Netbeans, PHPStorm and GVim the last
few months.

I think I have settled with Netbeans now. It seems to have the best
auto completion when your using complex file structures, autoloaders,
etc. I work with vanilla PHP and Drupal at work, a complicated file
structure with web2project and Netbeans handles them all with ease.

PHPStorm is pretty good, but is still in beta and has a few issues and
the auto complete isn't as good as Netbeans. Also it's not free.
However, if you are a open source contributor you can get it for free.

GVim is what it is, and if you spend the time to get used to all the
crazy keyboard shortcuts/commands it can make you ridiculously
productive.

Also something to note, OpenJDK sucks balls and is what most Linux
OS's come with by default. If you're going to use anything Java based
make sure you switch to Sun's Java, your performance will go through
the roof.

So what's everyone else using?

-tm

Shawn Greene

May 26, 2010, 2:10:09 PM5/26/10
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm using the newer Zend Studio based on Eclipse and if I had any hair to
pull out I would.
They actually removed some great functionality from version 5.x. :-(

Maybe it is time to try GVim.. sounds like a winner.

Shawn

Hey Guys,

-tm

Trevor Morse

May 26, 2010, 2:29:03 PM5/26/10
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shawn,

I haven't touched Zend Studio since I left Azorus, but haven't heard
good things about it lately. If I were you I would give Netbeans a go.

It's free, the only warning I have is when working on remote servers.
Last I checked it cached all files locally and didn't pull down the
latest file from the server when you opened it, leaving a good chance
that if someone else changed that file since the last time you edited
it, it would get over written. I haven't tested this in a couple of
versions though, so might be different now. But everyone's running
version control and not editing files directly right? :D

-tm

Trevor Morse

May 26, 2010, 2:45:56 PM5/26/10
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like, they've updated it a bit:
http://hg.netbeans.org/web-main/rev/6d66b02b9acc you no longer need to
download the whole remote file system to get a change. You do still
need to remember to download the changed files before editing anything
though. I only forgot to do that once...

-tm

D Keith Casey Jr

May 26, 2010, 2:48:16 PM5/26/10
Trevor Morse wrote:
> It's free, the only warning I have is when working on remote servers
Here's another warning for you on Netbeans..

If you're on any flavor of Linux, you *don't* want to use the openjdk.
Remove that and go to Sun.com and get a real JDK. They're supposed to be
API/functionally the same, but they're not. Openjdk caused me lots of
crashes until I replaced it.

I also just wrote an article on adding PDT to Flash Builder 4 which is
Eclipse-based. I believe it goes live on php|architect on Monday..

kc

--
D. Keith Casey, Jr.