Freelance Rates

Michael Caplan

Mar 31, 2011, 2:16:21 PM3/31/11
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hi there,

I hope the group doesn't mind a post from a non group member. I'm a
PHP developer located in the Annapolis Valley, and am trying to figure
out ballpark rates PHP web app freelancers charge these days. I've
been out of the freelance game for several years, and never freelanced
in NS. I'm guessing rates in Montreal from back in 2003 would be
different from what a NS freelancer could pull in NS in 2011.

Any advice? I'm thinking the mid range PHP developer who has been
exposed to a few web app projects of significant heft.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Trevor Morse

Apr 4, 2011, 12:52:35 PM4/4/11
to Halifax, NS PHP Developers Group
Hi Mike,

We welcome posts from non group members, hopefully you'll stick
around! Where in the valley are you located? I start a new job next
week with head quarters in the valley.

I have not done any serious freelancing, everything I have every done
was either for a friend, or helping out a company I worked for. So my
rates are probably a little (or quite a bit) lower then someone doing
it full time. I typically charge in the $50-$75/hr range and it
fluctuates depending on the work.

You may also want to look at the Nova Scotia Drupals user group. I
know there are a few freelancers there and might be able to offer some
more advice. http://groups.drupal.org/nova-scotia

Anyone on the list doing full time free lancing?

-tm

Michael Caplan

Apr 4, 2011, 1:16:46 PM4/4/11
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in the Wolfville / Kentville area. By any chance will you be
working with a company offering POS analytics solutions?

I take if you are telecommuting and not relocating. If you are ever
in
the Valley and want to talk PHP over a pint, drop me a line!

Best,

Mike

Trevor Morse

Apr 6, 2011, 7:59:55 AM4/6/11
to halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com, Michael Caplan
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Michael Caplan <mic...@eggplant.ws> wrote:
> Hi Trevor,
>
>  Thanks for the feedback.
>
>  I'm in the Wolfville / Kentville area.  By any chance will you be
>  working with a company offering POS analytics solutions?

Sure will. How'd ya guess?

>  I take if you are telecommuting and not relocating.  If you are ever in
>  the Valley and want to talk PHP over a pint, drop me a line!

Will do! Anyone else on the list in the Valley?

-tm

Michael Caplan

Apr 6, 2011, 8:52:30 AM4/6/11
to Trevor Morse, halifax-ns-php-...@googlegroups.com
I forget the guy's name, but we chatted at one point. Not too many
shops out here doing web development. Good luck with the new job!

Mike