photo gallery

Eric

Aug 1, 2008, 8:02:47 PM8/1/08
to HALE TEAMS
Started a permanent mission photo gallery at:

http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/BalloonSats/Missions/HALE/payload_camera.html

So far I've posted about 150 of the photos from our SLR camera. I'm
not nearly done - there are MANY more photos to sort through and post.
That'll take much of the weekend :)

Eric

Eric

Aug 2, 2008, 1:51:15 AM8/2/08
to HALE TEAMS
Sorry,
I had some photos from a previous launched mixed in there. Any photos
numbered IMG_10000 and above are from a previous launch. I'm removing
them now.

Eric

On Aug 1, 5:02 pm, Eric <lego.profes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Started a permanent mission photo gallery at:
>
> http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/BalloonSats/Missions/HALE/payload_camera...

Davis, Brian L.

Aug 2, 2008, 7:29:57 AM8/2/08
to hale-...@googlegroups.com
> I had some photos from a previous launched mixed in there.

I wondered about that. The satellite images distinctly show that almost "checkerboard" arrangement of irrigated circles in the next valley over (by Blue Mt, which I thin is also visible in those pictures). I just thought they were really good telephoto images of the next valley :)., Still, all those pictures are great. Is there a way to determine what MET (Mission Elapsed Time) each picture was taken? I think my CDS cell data shows the cloud deck, and would like to verify with pictures if possible.

--
Brian Davis

Eric

Aug 2, 2008, 7:03:40 PM8/2/08
to HALE TEAMS
Once I get all the photos up, I'm going to put the time & altitude in
as the photo title every 5 minutes or so. I have to look at the time
the picture was taken and then correlate that with the GPS coordinates
& altitude.

Eric

Brian Davis

Aug 3, 2008, 9:34:02 AM8/3/08
to HALE TEAMS
On Aug 2, 7:03 pm, Eric <lego.profes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once I get all the photos up, I'm going to put the time & altitude in
> as the photo title every 5 minutes or so. I have to look at the time
> the picture was taken and then correlate that with the GPS coordinates
> & altitude.

Thank you! Although that sounds like a lot of work on your part, I'd
love to see it. I was thinking of something easier (for you), like
telling us when the first picture was taken, and how frequently they
were taken, so that we could convert the picture number of a
timestamp: something like "picture IMG_2654 was taken at a MET of
20m30s, and it took one picture every 30 seconds (sequentially
numbered) thereafter".

PS- the cloud deck seems to have been between about 13,800' and
24,300', very roughly. Below 13,800' any time the CDS sensor was
facing down it saw "darker than average" (ground), but if it was
facing up it saw "brighter" (clouds scattering morning light?). Above
24,300' the trend reversed, with an upward facing CDS sensor
registering a significantly darker field of view (blue or black clear
sky) compared to other directions. Between those two elevations light
levels were much more uniform (didn't depend on direction or if the
sensor was facing up or down), sort of what I'd expect with
backscattering of light within the cloud deck.

--
Brian Davis

Eric

Aug 4, 2008, 4:21:42 PM8/4/08
to HALE TEAMS
the program took 3 pictures every 10 seconds (3 because we we're
bracketing the exposure +/- 1 full stop) for the first 5 minutes.
Thus, there are 3 photos in a row and then 10 second pause, etc.

After 5 minutes (technically 30 loops of 10.150 seconds each), the
program changes the delay to 30 seconds for another 45 minutes (90
loops of 30.150 seconds each). Then the program switches back to 10
second intervals for 60 minutes and finally back to 30 second
intervals until the battery runs out. The NXT was also logging
temperature and max/min accelerations every 30 seconds.

Eric

Brian Davis

Aug 4, 2008, 10:13:40 PM8/4/08
to HALE TEAMS
On Aug 4, 4:21 pm, Eric <lego.profes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the program took 3 pictures every 10 seconds (3 because we we're
> bracketing the exposure +/- 1 full stop) for the first 5 minutes.
> Thus, there are 3 photos in a row and then 10 second pause, etc.
>
> After 5 minutes (technically 30 loops of 10.150 seconds each), the
> program changes the delay to 30 seconds for another 45 minutes (90
> loops of 30.150 seconds each). Then the program switches back to 10
> second intervals for 60 minutes and finally back to 30 second
> intervals until the battery runs out.

That sounds like a good sequence - remind me to copy it next time :)

> The NXT was also logging temperature and max/min accelerations
> every 30 seconds.

If you get the chance to post the data, I'd love to see it. Is it
logging the max/min accelerations along a single axis, or the net
acceleration derived from all three axis? And is the temperature
inside or outside?

--
Brian Davis

Eric

Aug 8, 2008, 7:14:01 PM8/8/08
to HALE TEAMS
I've updated the photo gallery to include all the "good" pictures. At
some point in the near future, I'll also create a page that allows you
to download all the canon RAW format files so that you have nice high-
resolution images to work with.

I'm also uploading a revised GPS summary file that now includes
elevation in both feet and meters as well as time in both PST and MET.

Eric

David Levy

Aug 8, 2008, 9:27:10 PM8/8/08
to hale-...@googlegroups.com

First Launch ( balloon#2) about 50 feet before hitting the ground.
You can see the shadow of the parachute on the terrain.

http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/balloonsats/missions/HALE/1st_balloon.html#351

Eric

Aug 9, 2008, 1:31:13 AM8/9/08
to HALE TEAMS
Didn't notice that. Cool!!

On Aug 8, 6:27 pm, David Levy <david.l...@restonrobotics.org> wrote:
> First Launch ( balloon#2) about 50 feet before hitting the ground.
> You can see the shadow of the parachute on the terrain.
>
> http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/balloonsats/missions/HALE/1st_balloon.ht...

Brian Davis

Aug 12, 2008, 9:17:51 AM8/12/08
to HALE TEAMS
The balloon shadow is very cool. But I think I have even more
admiration for the ground team when I see pictures like this from the
hike:

http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/balloonsats/missions/HALE/recovery.html#27

I need to do a detailed analysis of the balloon images, but it seems
to me we should be able to pinpoint where Balloon #1 is in the SLR
pictures by referencing the sun angle. 'Course, I should do a very
quick calculation to see if even the balloon itself is more than a
single pixel at the range in question... Eric, if you really want a
balloon in a picture from a balloon, what's the practicality of
launching two at once (not staggered, but at almost exactly the same
time). One of these could be just a camera/tracking payload and
nothing more of course.

--
Brian Davis

Eric

Aug 12, 2008, 2:42:43 PM8/12/08
to HALE TEAMS
Brian,
Thanks, getting out was actually much easier than getting in. All we
had to do was follow ANY canyon/wash down as they all lead to the
road. On the way in, however, we had no idea which wash would lead to
the payload so we had to traverse several washes. Plus, we couldn't
see into the next wash so it was hard to locate it. Without getting
the SPOT GPS location relayed from you, it would have been hard.

In this instance, we would have had to fill another (pilot) balloon
and flown a small hand-held HAM radio. We would tie the HAM radio to
the balloon and fly the balloon tethered a few hundred feet in the air
so that it has direct line of sight with the communications payload.
Then we would reel the balloon back down and read off the reported GPS
location. Not a complicated procedure, just time consuming.

This picture actually shows the landing terrain pretty well:
http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/balloonsats/missions/HALE/1st_balloon.html#344

We were also VERY lucky that the clouds decided to persist and the
temperature stayed relatively low (around 90 F). If the sun had been
out, we would have been baked to a crisp.

------------------
We've thought about launching two balloons at once. It's not
difficult, just need more people at the launch site.

We were actually thinking about doing that for HALE if the winds were
light. It's not very obvious in the pictures (or time lapse) but we
had several instances where the wind kicked up and most of us had to
drop what we were doing to help stabilize the balloon during filling.
We actually woke up to a pretty good breeze and considered canceling
the launch. By the time we broke camp, luckily the wind had died down.

-------------------
I'll get the RAW images posted in the next few days. Searching the JPG
images for the balloon is probably not a worthwhile endeavor due to
the image compression.

Eric

Eric

Aug 12, 2008, 2:47:45 PM8/12/08
to HALE TEAMS
If you want to see what it's like to try and fill a balloon when there
is a wind, check out:

http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/balloonsats/Missions/NBS-07-01/chase_team.html#47

We actually popped this balloon while filling because it hit the
ground and popped on some sage brush. At $500 per balloon/helium,
that's not fun.

Eric

On Aug 12, 11:42 am, Eric <lego.profes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian,
> Thanks, getting out was actually much easier than getting in. All we
> had to do was follow ANY canyon/wash down as they all lead to the
> road. On the way in, however, we had no idea which wash would lead to
> the payload so we had to traverse several washes. Plus, we couldn't
> see into the next wash so it was hard to locate it. Without getting
> the SPOT GPS location relayed from you, it would have been hard.
>
> In this instance, we would have had to fill another (pilot) balloon
> and flown a small hand-held HAM radio. We would tie the HAM radio to
> the balloon and fly the balloon tethered a few hundred feet in the air
> so that it has direct line of sight with the communications payload.
> Then we would reel the balloon back down and read off the reported GPS
> location. Not a complicated procedure, just time consuming.
>
> This picture actually shows the landing terrain pretty well:http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/balloonsats/missions/HALE/1st_balloon.ht...

Pooja

Sep 7, 2008, 5:17:41 PM9/7/08
to HALE TEAMS
Dear Professor Wang,

We saw some really great pictures that the SLR payload took.
We were wondering if there are any high-resolution pictures that we
can blowup poster size for our exhibition at the National Air and
Space museum.

We are building a display with the posters in the background and our
hanging payload with pinwheel spinning in the front..
A small balloon will be above the payload.

Thank you

FLL team 90
Isabel and Pooja
Grade 6 :-)

On Aug 1, 8:02 pm, Eric <lego.profes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Started a permanent mission photo gallery at:
>
> http://www.unr.edu/nevadasat/BalloonSats/Missions/HALE/payload_camera...

Eric

Sep 8, 2008, 10:14:55 PM9/8/08
to HALE TEAMS
I have full size images for all the pictures in the photo gallery. I
plan on posting all of the images online, until then if you tell me
the image number you want, I can send you a the full sized image.

Rathna Kandasamy

Sep 9, 2008, 4:27:26 PM9/9/08
to hale-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!! we would like the following photos:

From launch section the first image is called
"TOP TO BOTTOM: SLR,  LEGO MS, FLL 90 (1ST LAUNCH)"

The rest of the images are called:

-IMG_2047

-IMG_2135 11,000 FT (UP)
-IMG_2226 35,000 FT (UP)