HALE launch date is now set for July 29th.

Eric

Jul 15, 2008, 6:59:52 PM7/15/08
to HALE TEAMS
The team here met and we've set the launch date for the morning of
July 29th. We are in a very favorable weather pattern right now (the
jet stream is way up north) and looks to remain that way for at least
the next two weeks.

The smoke due to the forest fires in California, however, have ruined
visibility here in Reno for the past few weeks. Today is actually the
first clear day we've had since I returned from vacation. THUS, while
the launch date is now set, the launch location will depend on the
smoke. We may be launching from a location in southern Nevada to avoid
the smoke (we want to make sure Brian's photos are of clear sky).

If anyone is planning on attending the launch please contact me for
more details.

Two weeks to lift-off....
Eric

Eugene

Jul 20, 2008, 8:18:08 AM7/20/08
to HALE TEAMS
Eric,

Could you point out the area where you are going to launch the
balloon? I'd like to mark the location from the Google Map.

Thanks,
Eugene

Jeff

Jul 23, 2008, 3:05:13 PM7/23/08
to HALE TEAMS
We will certainly let everyone know the launch plans as soon as we
have a better sense of the wind predictions. We can start "trusting"
the forecasts around Sunday, and Monday we will make what will
(probably) be a final decision on location. Some of the potential
launch sites will require us to leave Reno on Monday and stay
overnight near the site to get up real early on Tuesday.

By Monday, we plan to post a set of info on how everyone can monitor
the mission live on the web. We hope to include:

1. Live updating balloon location and altitude (every 30-60 seconds or
so) using our ham radio payloads (on a web page map)
2. Live updating balloon location (no altitude) (every ~10 mins) using
our backup SPOT tracking system (on a web page map)
3. If we launch from an area with (or near) cell coverage, we will
post blog updates and pictures from the pre-launch and launch almost
live (using our cell phones)
4. During the chase/recovery, we will do our best to provide live
updates either directly, or by calling in reports to someone who can
post it here for us.
5. After recovery, we will post pics of the chase and recovery ASAP,
along with important data (like location, etc.)

Keep an eye out for more info on how we will accomplish this "Live
Mission" stuff!

Eric

Jul 24, 2008, 7:38:52 PM7/24/08
to HALE TEAMS
Eugene,

We will likely be near the following location:

N 40° 20’ W 119° 20.5'

We will have a much better idea on Monday afternoon. We will post the
actual launch location during the event.

Eric

David Levy

Jul 25, 2008, 9:33:27 AM7/25/08
to hale-...@googlegroups.com

- Always fun typing coordinates into Google Earth :)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:38:52 -0700 (PDT), Eric wrote