What's about debugger?

icoz

Aug 19, 2008, 10:06:39 AM8/19/08
to HaiQ Development
Hi, all.

I've read old theme about debugger.

I think, that's more easy to in this way:

We define in haiqcoreinterface HaiQDebuggerInterface, where will be
HaiQBreakpointList (QList<HaiQBreakpoint>), HaiQWatchList,
HaiQConditionList, functions to run/stop program execution.

HaiQBreakpoint will contains id, "filename.cpp", line number.

Code of debugger will be in plugin.

Also we (may be) have to make some moddings in other plugins. For
example, we need to syncronize addBreakPoint adding breakpoint marker
and adding HaiQBreakpoint.

Who can tell me what troubles will be in this way?

Thank you.

PS. Please tell me how you debug your plugins?

jeremy....@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2008, 9:40:55 AM8/22/08
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Icoz,

I think you have the right overall strategy. I actually tried to implement a debugger interface in a previous version of HaiQ. However, I ran into frustration, because of the bad design of gdb, in my opinion. For my projects, I never use a debugger anymore... I only use qDebug() statements in my code, and I am happy with this method. However, I do realize that most people want a debugger in their IDE.

If you want to work on this, you should coordinate with Jose and Chris, who have also done work on this.

Jeremy

icoz

Aug 23, 2008, 5:18:17 AM8/23/08
to HaiQ Development
Hi, Jeremy.

I understand you. So I ask all those who tried to write debugger-
plugin, to commit their code examples to svn. I suggest to make one
more directory like "experiments". But the best way is to make "trunk"
and "tags" (or stable/unstable). You can read about it here -
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/index.html

Thanks for your code.
Icoz

On 22 авг, 17:40, jeremy.magl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Icoz,
>
> I think you have the right overall strategy. I actually tried to implement a
> debugger interface in a previous version of HaiQ. However, I ran into
> frustration, because of the bad design of gdb, in my opinion. For my
> projects, I never use a debugger anymore... I only use qDebug() statements
> in my code, and I am happy with this method. However, I do realize that most
> people want a debugger in their IDE.
>
> If you want to work on this, you should coordinate with Jose and Chris, who
> have also done work on this.
>
> Jeremy

Christian Dähn

Aug 24, 2008, 2:17:36 PM8/24/08
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Icoz,

it sounds good, that you are interested to help or implement the debugger plugin.

I think you meant the SVN "branches" for forking out experimental or in work
versions of the trunk - because "tags" are just bookmarks to special repository
versions (e.g. "release_1_0_0").

Jose and I generated some ideas for the debugger - e.g. splitting the debugger
plugin in gui layer and debugger layer - so it's possible to
a) implement different debugger backends (e.g. for gdb and VisualC++ debugger)
b) implement a network layer to run the debugger remotely / remote debugging

I could try to gather all the ideas and send them to the mailing list - so we could
try to generate a design draft and then it should be possible to define, who will
do what..

ciao,
Chris