New app; new Bible translations; email address update

Michael Johnson

Mar 6, 2018, 9:34:02 PM3/6/18
to Hai...@googlegroups.com

Greetings from your friendly neighborhood digital Bible distributor!

I'm excited to announce a new Bible study app for Android called "Bishop". A special thanks goes to Troy Griffiths for working on this. You can try out the Android version at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.crosswire.bishop. An iOS version is under construction. Note that all of the freely redistributable Bible translations hosted at eBible.org and PNG.Bible (among others) are available for this app in the eBible.org repository, accessible in the app. Once downloaded, they may be used offline indefinitely.

I think this is a first: a free modern Spanish New Testament is now available under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivatives license. It is called the Versión Biblia Libre (Free Bible Version). Check it out at BibliaLibre.net. A special thanks go to Jonathan Gallagher and Shelly Barrios de Avila for an extreme amount of hard work put into this for the purpose of giving it away for free! Jonathan also has an English Free Bible Version New Testament in the same style and under the same open access license. Praise God! It is awesome when we get such permission to distribute and redistribute minority language translations with no commercial value, but beyond awesome when someone does that with a majority language Bible translation!

The list of the most recent Bible translations added to our sites is at https://ebible.org/Scriptures/changelog.txt.

Curious about how many people are reading what translation? Metrics with bot traffic and search engine traffic filtered out are at https://ebible.org/metrics/. Old data scrolls off the end of the report after a year, so check it and save the page at least once a year if you want older records.

I have many email addresses, but the best ones to reach me at are Mic...@eBible.org and kahun...@gmail.com. (The latter one is useful for all sorts of Google services, like sharing Bibles with me via Google Drive.) Please don't use my former @wycliffe.org and @sil.org addresses, as those have gone away with a bit of administrative streamlining. I don't hold an official position within SIL anymore, but do the same work in partnership with SIL, PNG BTA, and others in my single role as director of eBible.org, which is supported through World Outreach Ministries.

Haiola has had some minor updates. As always, you can get the latest version at haiola.org.

--

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143
• USA
mljohnson.org • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule