Haiola update status

Michael Johnson

May 1, 2018, 10:44:59 PM5/1/18
to Hai...@googlegroups.com

Greetings from the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

Haiola is being slowly transformed into something that I hope is more useful to people besides me. The current major project is to totally strip out all of the proprietary code that I use, replacing it with re-written pure Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS). What this means to most people is that additional capabilities that have been inaccessible or broken will start working. Right now, PDF generation is mostly working, but still has some known issues. Browser Bible 3 module generation is partially implemented. I tend to update frequently, any time what I have compiled is clearly better than what was released before. Updates are at https://haiola.org.

With the new General Data Protection Regulations for Europe coming into effect this month, I will be adding some privacy policy information to our Bible web sites. These don't indicate a change except for greater transparency. In general, our policy on gathering personal information is to not keep any such information except what is needed to provide you and others with services. This information is:

  • Server logs contain IP addresses that could be personally identifiable, but we do a geolocation lookup, then intentionally reduce the location accuracy and anonymize the IP address with a one-way hash function, then discard the log entries before doing analysis on the server usage. This effectively destroys the ability of anyone to determine who looked at what on our sites, even if they gain access to our metrics database, which is not open to public access anyway.
  • Mailing lists (like the one this message comes through) have your email address and possibly your name, but you can remove it any time using the mailing list provider's instructions. Of course, if you do that, you won't get the inside information I send out this way.
  • Web cookies are used for your convenience in letting some settings, like where you last read a Bible, persist from session to session with some Bible web apps. They are also used by some third parties to help determine how much traffic is using a particular page and how much of that is repeat traffic. Of course, you can disable or clear cookies at will using the controls on your own browser, which has no ill effects other than losing the ability to keep bookmarks for you.
  • Some content on our sites is served from other sites, operated by other entities, and the use of cookies and logging practices for those sites are under their privacy policies. This includes Faith Comes by Hearing, the Deaf Bible Society, the American Bible Society and the Digital Bible Library.
  • Pages with a Facebook "like" button may share information with Facebook. Currently, I think we only have one of these at https://PNG.Bible and https://PNGScriptures.org (which are really the same page).
--

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143
• USA
mljohnson.org • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule