eBible.org Sword repository open; working on PDFs; backlog

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

Nov 16, 2015, 9:11:00 PM11/16/15
to Hai...@googlegroups.com

Rejoice! The eBible.org repository for Sword Project modules is now officially open!

That means that it is now easier to get your favorite minority language (and some majority language) Bible translations into open source Bible study apps like Xiphos (Windows and Linux), Eloquent (Mac OS X), PocketSword (iOS), and AndBible (Android). Actually, AndBible needs an upgrade before it is easy to get those translations into it, but at least it is possible, now. It is easy on the other platforms, though. For details, please see http://mpj.cx/p=509.

The main differences between the eBible.org repository and the old WBT Sword repository are:
  • Size: 677 modules, as of today
  • Automation: instead of a manual process taking a month or three of manual labor to produce a Sword module from USFM or USX source, it takes a few minutes with a combination of Haiola and some external scripts to add a Bible to the repository.
  • Regular updates: I pass updates and additions on regularly, making incremental electronic publishing practical.

PDFs

I'm in the final labor pains of getting automatic PDF generation done using XeTeX. It is kind of like the XeTeX process used by Paratext/Pathway, but more complete, more general, and more automatic. It will actually produce 2 PDF formats: one optimized for economical printing, and one optimized for viewing on screen or printing of small portions. Stay tuned...

Backlog

I have a small backlog of Scriptures that need to be processed. Please be patient, and don't hesitate to give me more work. I'll get to them after I get the PDF generator working. I just kind of need to focus on one thing at a time to ensure the quality of what I do. Please pray for me.

Any questions?
--
Your partner in electronic Bible publishing,

MICHAEL JOHNSON
PO BOX 881143
PUKALANI HI 96788-1143

USA