Haiola update; please send more Scriptures to publish

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

May 22, 2015, 4:01:47 PM5/22/15
to Hai...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

Last week, I uploaded an update to Haiola that:
  • Adds Microsoft Word 2003 XML (WordML) output (ported directly from WordSend code, but without support for embedded USFX, because Microsoft dropped support for embedded custom XML). Unlike the rest of the output formats, the WordML output doesn't support table generation from USFM tables (because WordSend never did that).
  • Corrects an inconsistency in generated output location for SQL files.
  • Corrects some strange behavior in cover art handling.
  • Improves command line batch processing by running minimized unless explicitly expanded by the user.

The WordML output makes this the successor to WordSend, which is no longer being developed. With it, you can actually typeset a Bible for print. (I actually just did that for a print run in the Pacific area.)

For people who like numbers, here are some for just the Bible web sites that I directly upload to:

Haiola project statistics as of Wed, 20 May 2015 04:08:00 GMT UTC
621 languages
662 dialects
678 freely redistributable translations
426 certified translations
25 limited-sharing translations
703 total public translations
12 master sites
4,225,510 hits in April

For a big list of the above translations (and a some links to Bible translations that others have posted), please see http://ebible.org/bible/.

Please note that the 25 limited-sharing translations (i.e. those not under a Creative Commons or similar license or in the Public Domain) cannot legally be distributed as widely in as many formats. Only the freely redistributable translations are available in all of epub, mobi, zipped HTML, and mobile HTML formats. The others are available in inScript format only, and only online. Freely redistributable translations get priority over limited distribution translations in processing.
Please send me some more Scriptures to publish, including portions that have been consultant checked, preferably with the following included:
  • Permission to distribute under a license that allows free distribution and redistribution, like the one at http://ebible.org/ccplus.htm.
  • Files in the format closest to Unicode USFM (i.e. a Paratext project backup or project shared with "Michael Johnson")
  • Publication data (copyright date(s) and owners, who has published this before, if anyone, and anything else relevant to publication credits)
  • If the project contains some files that aren't ready for publication, please let me know clearly which ones are cleared for publication.
--
Your partner in electronic Bible publishing,

MICHAEL JOHNSON
PO BOX 881143
PUKALANI HI 96788-1143

USA