Haines Bikes: Cool Article - We're making news

Noble Anderson

May 2, 2011, 8:18:45 PM5/2/11
to eli...@chilkatenvironmental.com, Mark Earnest, kayse...@gmail.com, mechanica...@gmail.com, jrbo...@att.net, mb...@hbsd.net, michel...@hbsd.net, mi...@deltawestern.com, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, ke...@shtumpa.com, daymond...@yahoo.com, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, hle...@aptalaska.net, sidm...@hotmail.com, gr...@expeditionbroker.com, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@searhc.org

http://akpedbikealliance.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/%E2%80%A2%C2%A0haines-starts-bicycle-club-hopes-to-pursue-bicycle-friendly-community-status/

We're making news and it's great momentum!

I think we should make it official (I've only heard positives, and no negatives):

  Haines Bikes

 Now we can get working on a web page, and tell the community what we're up to.

Anyone interested in helping put together a little friendly contest for bike to work week?  Maybe we could get various local organizations/businesses to challenge each other with how many miles their employees log commuting to work each week.  This might work for Well-and-Fit's next Community challenge, and it could be a lot of fun.

Don't forget the Chilkat river cleanup on May 7, and our next meeting May 11.

This is starting to sound like a newsletter...  see you out there.

Noble

Russell Bowman

May 2, 2011, 10:42:30 PM5/2/11
to eli...@chilkatenvironmental.com, Mark Earnest, kayse...@gmail.com, mechanica...@gmail.com, mb...@hbsd.net, michel...@hbsd.net, mi...@deltawestern.com, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, ke...@shtumpa.com, daymond...@yahoo.com, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, hle...@aptalaska.net, sidm...@hotmail.com, gr...@expeditionbroker.com, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@searhc.org
I agree
Russ

Mike Denker

May 3, 2011, 4:01:58 PM5/3/11
to Noble Anderson, eli...@chilkatenvironmental.com, Mark Earnest, kayse...@gmail.com, mechanica...@gmail.com, jrbo...@att.net, mb...@hbsd.net, michel...@hbsd.net, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, ke...@shtumpa.com, daymond...@yahoo.com, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, hle...@aptalaska.net, sidm...@hotmail.com, gr...@expeditionbroker.com, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@searhc.org

Great name – sounds perfect.

Thanks for the link on the article.

I was at the 4 way intersection by Haisler’s last week waiting at the stop sign – 3 bikes hit the intersection at the same time all going different directions, with only one car going west through the intersection.  Made me smile – 3 bikes and 1 car – gotta love it.

Later.

Mike

http://akpedbikealliance.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/%E2%80%A2%C2%A0haines-starts-bicycle-club-hopes-to-pursue-bicycle-friendly-community-status/

We're making news and it's great momentum!

I think we should make it official (I've only heard positives, and no negatives):

  Haines Bikes

Noble Anderson

May 4, 2011, 4:55:25 PM5/4/11
to mb...@hbsd.net, eli...@chilkatenvironmental.com, Mark Earnest, kayse...@gmail.com, mechanica...@gmail.com, jrbo...@att.net, michel...@hbsd.net, Mike Denker, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, ke...@shtumpa.com, daymond...@yahoo.com, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, hle...@aptalaska.net, sidm...@hotmail.com, gr...@expeditionbroker.com, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@searhc.org
Hi All,

    I've been talking with Health Promotion with SEARHC, and they have contacted the newspaper and the radio to promote bike to work week.  We were hoping to have a little friendly competition that week to get more people on their bikes.  Ideally we would get some nice prizes together for people who ride to work that week.  Anyone willing to donate something to the cause for prizes?  I have cut and pasted my conversation with Pam Sloper (SEARHC Health Promotion) below.  Thoughts?

In other news, our Mayor, and now the governor has proclaimed May Bike Month!

http://gov.alaska.gov/parnell/press-room/full-proclamation.html?pr=5752

Now let's hope the weather will help promote it too.

See you out there.

Noble

Email from Pam:

Hey Noble  ~  I sent the info on a bike challenge to the radio station and newspaper.  Wondering if you could ask your group for some prizes for that week?  I think the best thing to do at this point would be a drawing for the week and one for the last day.  That way the more you rode the more times you would get entered.

Now, where could people enter???  Here, the borough, the school, the library, the bank, Howsers, Oletruds, MM, etc.  ~ How??   Just a can with paper where they write their name???  Who else is willing to help gather names etc?

FYI ~ I am out of town from the 12th to the 30th.

Just talked to Leslie at the newspaper ~ whe will put it in save the date this week and then do an ad for next week.

Please give me some ideas.  Thanks, Pam

--

Pam Sloper, RN        Ph: 907-766-6367
WISEWOMAN Women's Health Program

Sockeye Cycle Co.

May 4, 2011, 8:48:39 PM5/4/11
to mb...@hbsd.net, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, eli...@chilkatenvironmental.com, Mark Earnest, kayse...@gmail.com, mechanica...@gmail.com, jrbo...@att.net, michel...@hbsd.net, Mike Denker, gavin9...@gmail.com, Eric Forster, ke...@shtumpa.com, daymond...@yahoo.com, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, hle...@aptalaska.net, sidm...@hotmail.com, gr...@expeditionbroker.com, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@searhc.org
We can donate a few prizes, bike gloves, custom jersey, logo hat and collect entries at our store.

Thom Ely

Sockeye Cycle Co.
Alaska Bicycle Tours, Rentals, Sales & Service
POB 829,
24 Portage St. Haines, AK 99827- 0829
381 Fifth Ave. Skagway, AK (5/1 - 9/30)
TF 877-292-4154, 907-766-2869, Fax 907-766-2851, Cell 907-314-0860
www.cyclealaska.com

This transmission and the information it contains, including any attachment, is intended solely for the named addressee(s).It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. The unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this transmission or such information is strictly prohibited. If you are not the/an addressee, and are in possession of this transmission (or any copy) without the consent of any named addressee, you must delete it and notify us immediately.

Noble Anderson

May 11, 2011, 2:50:34 PM5/11/11
to Mike Denker, Elijah Donat, Mark Earnest, Jess Kayser, mechanica...@gmail.com, Russ Bowman, Michael Byer, michel...@hbsd.net, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, Kevin Forster, Daymond Hoffman, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, Heather Lende, Sid Moffat, Greg Schlacter, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, Pam Sloper
          We are having a bike to work raffle the week of 16th to 20th.  It should be in the paper this week, and you may have already heard it on the radio.  The way it works is based on the honor system.  If you bike to work (or school), you get an entry (one entry per person per day you ride, please).  Entry boxes/cans will be at various locations around town (Mt. Market, SEARHC clinic, Sockeye, Post Office, Borough office, and the school...) during Bike To Work Week.  Sockeye cycle has already offered to make some donations to the cause.  Prizes are yet to be announced, but if anyone wants to donate something nice and somewhat bike related, we will be glad to raffle it away (Even Mt. Market coins would be great... most of us cyclists like our caffeine).  We are trying to keep this fairly foot-loose and fancy free... the real goal is to promote Bike Month and Bike to Work week (it's a pretty informal raffle).  We plan to do the actual raffle on the 21st.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Hope to see you out there.

Noble

Noble Anderson

May 14, 2011, 9:38:50 AM5/14/11
to haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, Mike Denker, Elijah Donat, Mark Earnest, Jess Kayser, mechanica...@gmail.com, Russ Bowman, Michael Byer, michel...@hbsd.net, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, Kevin Forster, Daymond Hoffman, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, Heather Lende, Sid Moffat, Greg Schlacter, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, Pam Sloper
I'm going to set up cans this weekend.  You will see them around town.  I'm going to donate $25 worth of Mt. Market coins to the cause.  If anyone else wants to throw something in, please let me know.  Thom, I will try to swing by Sockeye today, as I suspect you aren't open on Sunday to drop off a can.  Thanks.

Noble

Noble Anderson

May 16, 2011, 5:32:38 PM5/16/11
to Mike Denker, Elijah Donat, Mark Earnest, Jess Kayser, mechanica...@gmail.com, Russ Bowman, Michael Byer, michel...@hbsd.net, gavin9...@gmail.com, soc...@cyclealaska.com, Eric Forster, Kevin Forster, Daymond Hoffman, storm...@yahoo.com, birc...@aptalaska.net, ggk...@gmail.com, Heather Lende, Sid Moffat, Greg Schlacter, csti...@hbsd.net, wher...@yahoo.com, melli...@gmail.com, dar...@live.com, alaskawa...@gmail.com, haines-bi...@googlegroups.com, Pam Sloper, alaskao...@earthlink.net
It's Bike to Work (or school) Week!  The drawing has started with cans/boxes at local businesses and locations around town (Sockeye Cycle, SEARHC clinic, Backcountry outfitters, the School, Borough Office, the Library, the bank, and Mountain Market).  There should be a piece of paper with the can explaining the rules (see attached word document).  Please, if you see a can with no more entry forms, let me know, and I will restock.  If someone wants an entry box at their business, please let me know (you can still put up the flyer and let people know where to enter).

I still need donations for prizes!  I will also take money and go buy some if you are willing to contribute (I've already bought some, but would love to give more out).

Next bike meeting is tentatively scheduled for May 25.  More info to be announced soon.

Thanks everyone!

Noble
Bike To Work Week Drawing.docx