Starfish Profiler for applications other than hadoop example programs and old history files

Amit Sangroya

Dec 30, 2014, 1:13:38 AM12/30/14
to shiv...@cs.duke.edu, hadoop-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

I have a question related to Starfish profiler.

Can I profile my existing applications using Starfish or it works on only limited applications.

If yes, please let me know how it is possible.

I am trying to run Starfish for my application and I am getting this:

In the Starfish directory, I am running.

 ./bin/profile hadoop jar contrib/examples/hadoop-starfish-examples.jar adhocquery2stock.jar org.myorg.ComputeCombiner 1_3 1_3_o "XLP"
Unknown program 'adhocquery2stock.jar' chosen.
Valid program names are:
  compress: A map/reduce program that compressed the input.
  grep: A map/reduce program that counts the matches of a regex in the input.
  randomtextwriter: A map/reduce program that writes 10GB of random textual data per node.
  randomwriter: A map/reduce program that writes 10GB of random data per node.
  secondarysort: An example defining a secondary sort to the reduce.
  teragen: Generate data for the terasort
  terasort: Run the terasort
  teravalidate: Checking results of terasort
  wordcount: A map/reduce program that counts the words in the input files.

For wordcount and Grep, it is working fine.

Also, I want to know, if I can profile just be the history files. I have some history files. Can I run the profiler and get information from them. Note that, for these history files, I have not run them using the starfish jar. They were run directly through hadoop jar.

Thanks,

--

Best Regards,
Amit

YoungKun Min

Dec 30, 2014, 8:14:34 PM12/30/14
to hadoop-...@googlegroups.com, shiv...@cs.duke.edu
Hello, Amit

This might be work.

./bin/profile hadoop jar yourJar.jar yourClass args

Starfish might be need a special implements(which I don't think so), the example's codes are on their web page(http://www.cs.duke.edu/starfish/mr-apps.html). You can digg some example codes.

Wish your good luck!

Youngkun Min

Amit Sangroya