Immersive story telling -- Maps and drone journalism meetup

Richard Zulu

Oct 25, 2017, 5:47:50 AM10/25/17
to hackshacke...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hacks/Hackers members,

I would like to invite you to our session on immersive story telling - maps and drone journalism due to take place on 31st October 2017, 5.30pm - 8.30pm,  at Outbox Hub. Please register here by clicking on the Google form registration link.

The meet-up is open to journalists, techies (software developers and enthusiasts) and bloggers.

According to a Guardian article: “Immersive storytelling is a technique that is finding its way into new spaces such as theatres, games, documentaries, advertising and journalism. The aim is to give people the feeling of really ‘being there’, calling on 3D gaming, virtual and augmented reality technologies in the process. Tech is making our media more entertaining, hard-hitting and unique.”

Technologies like Virtual Reality, Drones have the potential to bring the audiences into the heart of the story. However, a challenge remains on the editorial, technical and ethical challenges. How might we make immersive storytelling more accessible to the journalists and users?

Immersive storytelling has been used to document the lives of syrian refugees, by the guardian to demonstrate what it is like to live in solitary confinement. This workshop will help you:

  • Understand the technologies available to you for immersive storytelling;

  • Learn best practices in immersive storytelling;

  • Considerations when constructing a news story i.e audience participation

  • Key challenges in immersive storytelling and how to mitigate these i.e ethics and standards, newsroom workflows, technology deployment, skills and user adoption.

You can view details about the presenters here.

​We look forward to seeing you there.

Richard Zulu
Lead, Outbox
Technology entrepreneurship and innovation
4th Floor, Soliz House, Lumumba Avenue,
Kampala, Uganda