Sept Zoom Meetup: Mon 20th @6PM - redistricting!

Erik Paulson

Sep 17, 2021, 11:23:47 AM9/17/21
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
For the September Code for Madison meetup, we'll be looking at redistricting in Wisconsin.
We're very excited to be joined by two nationally-known experts in redistricting, computational redistricting, and evaluating maps for fairness.

First, we'll have UW-Madison professor of Political Science and member of the UW Elections Research Center David Canon joining us to discuss how the redistricting process works in Wisconsin and broader issues in redistricting.

Then, we'll take a quick look at some of the tools that can be used to "draw your own maps" to provide feedback to redistricting bodies. There are two bodies in Wisconsin soliciting feedback and maps from Wisconsinites: The People's Map Commission, established by Governor Evers, and the 'Draw Your District Wisconsin' tool created by the Legislature. (Dane County is also soliciting local maps, but the deadline is Sept 19th!: https://www.danecountyplanning.com/Projects/Redistricting )

Then, we'll be joined by Washington State University Assistant Professor Daryl DeFord, who will go a bit deeper into programmatically creating maps using the GerryChain Python library - this part will get technical! Professor DeFord has been affiliated with research centers at MIT and Tufts studying computational geometry and redistricting, and was the instructor for the 2019 course in computational redistricting: https://people.csail.mit.edu/ddeford/CAPR.php

We're still Zoom-only, starting at 6pm, on Monday September 20th. We hope you can join us, and a special thanks to Carl Schroedl for putting this month's session together!