Monday the 16th: GIS with City Assessor data + census data Meetup

Erik Paulson

Aug 11, 2021, 7:53:58 PM8/11/21
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
Hello all -

August will be our special "Forward Fest" edition of the meetup, and this month we're going to take a look at combining geodata from the City of Madison's open data portal, and remixing that with population geodata from the census, and try to use that new dataset to see if we can find a relationship between the racial makeup of an area's population and trends in assessed values of housing. (I will be the first to tell you that my data analysis is not very deep, and I'd love for someone to take it and push it further). I'm using a mix of QGIS, Geopandas, and Folium as my toolset.

The Census Bureau actually moved the data release date up a few days from when we originally scheduled this, so the 2020 data will be available before the meetup and I can use it instead of the 2010 data I had been using. (Fingers crossed the first data release is usable...)

We're keeping this a virtual meetup, on Zoom:

Monday, August 16th, 6:00pm-7:30pm.
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/92935410398?pwd=UGROenlpUlZjL1ZlM011NldXcEExUT09

Meeting ID: 929 3541 0398
Passcode: 180324
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,92935410398#,,,,*180324# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,,92935410398#,,,,*180324# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)