Open Tree Map

Steve Faulkner

May 18, 2014, 8:10:11 PM5/18/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
Found via hackernews this weekend: http://opentreemap.github.io/

Erik any idea if the forester who spoke at city camp is involved in the above project?

Erik Paulson

May 18, 2014, 10:51:04 PM5/18/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, dav...@gmail.com, Rutledge, Kay
No, I don't think he is.

First off - I completely dropped the ball on this back in January and the forgot, so my apologies to Davi, who was interested in working on tree mapping, and to Kay from the city.

First, on trees: Kay Rutledge asked about trying to put together something for a walking tour of trees, both of the street trees (of which the City has pretty good data) and of trees in the parks, where the data is less good.  I pointed her at this app as an example:

and to http://urbanforestmap.org/ - which is an example built on opentreemap (which is available as both a SaaS and an Open Source edition)

In exciting news, the City's posted the street tree data - it looks like maybe just as of about 3 weeks ago:

Socrata clusters the points on the map at the top level and lets you drill down, but you can download the underlying .CSV (it's 10MB). It's based off a private dataset, so maybe there's more than just <tree type, diameter, lat, long> in the data. It'd be cool if there was a "marked for cut down" or something, maybe.

The guy who came to CityCamp is Si Widstrand. He's blogging about his activities here:

There's some overlap in that he's broadly interested in doing some mapping of park lands, but not down to the level of individual trees. I thought what might make sense to get him set up with was an instance of localwiki:

One common thread between localwiki and opentreemap is they both are built on Postgres (and I'd assume PostGIS?). Getting a decent Postgres instance from Heroku (or any other cloud provider) is actually kind of pricey - more than i'm really willing to pay for a hobby site. Hosting an app otherwise is pretty cheap, if not outright free. Is anyone with a decent network connection willing to stick a communal Postgres instance on the net? I'm willing to kick in some cash for hardware.

-Erik

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Steve Faulkner <southpo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Found via hackernews this weekend: http://opentreemap.github.io/

Erik any idea if the forester who spoke at city camp is involved in the above project?

Carl Schroedl

Mar 21, 2015, 11:26:31 PM3/21/15
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, dav...@gmail.com, KRut...@cityofmadison.com
Aha! Thanks for the updates Erik. I'm looking forward to sharing that Madison tree map with people.

Steve, opentreemap looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Aaron Couch

Mar 23, 2015, 10:47:12 AM3/23/15
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, dav...@gmail.com, KRut...@cityofmadison.com
Wow this is so exciting that the city posted that data.

" Is anyone with a decent network connection willing to stick a communal Postgres instance on the net? I'm willing to kick in some cash for hardware."

I think I'd be willing to support this if the cost isn't too crazy. Do you know how much it would cost? Would a meetup be a good way to move forward to work through some of these details.

Aaron Couch
Director of Engineering for Civic Solutions
Offline: (215) 315-7915

Aaron Couch

Mar 23, 2015, 12:40:51 PM3/23/15
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, dav...@gmail.com, KRut...@cityofmadison.com
I made a quick export and import into CartoDB. Here is a choropleth based on the tree diameter: https://dkan.cartodb.com/u/dkan-admin/tables/dkan-admin.madison_trees/public/map :) Really excited to dig into this.

Aaron Couch
Director of Engineering for Civic Solutions
Offline: (215) 315-7915

Carl Schroedl

Mar 23, 2015, 6:13:54 PM3/23/15
to hacking...@googlegroups.com

Nice! Quick work too!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "HackingMadison" group.

Aaron Couch

Mar 30, 2015, 8:56:27 AM3/30/15
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
I started using the CartoDB map last week in my neighborhood and had some issues with pulling the trees up on mobile so decided to spin up an instance Open Tree Map: http://45.33.14.67/madison/map/

It is just empty right now but will try and import the trees from Socrata when I get a chance.

If anyone is interested in digging in let me know and I'd be happy to share the credentials.

I'm not sure if anyone else is using Open Tree Map already so if so it would be great to combine efforts. I'm most interested in getting a working version for myself though of course want to share if this will be useful for others. Would be great if we could petition the city to pay for a cloud version which is maintained by Azavea and includes a mobile app: https://www.opentreemap.org/pricing/

-AC