Volunteer Programming Project

Tim Escher

Jun 9, 2016, 1:37:47 PM6/9/16
to HackingMadison
Hi folks. I spend most of my year in the Anchorage, Alaska, area, and have done projects with CfA up there dealing with bus schedules and service access for low income residents. I realize CfA brigades are mainly for civic projects, mostly around using open data, so I don't know if this is the right group for this project. If not, or if someone has a better group to contact about this, please let me know.

I am from south-central WI originally and have helped Habitat for Humanity of Sauk-Columbia Area (now HfH of Wisconsin River Area) for years with a volunteer management system, mainly back-office to track activity for grants and analytics for outreach. They would like some new features on the system giving volunteers mobile access to check in at workdays and for volunteers to see how much time they've given to Habitat. I would also like to clean the system up a bit and get it open-sourced so it could be used by other organizations such as other Habitat chapters. It is currently written in Ruby on Rails, using an MVC framework.

There would be Rails, IOS, and Android development. If you are interested or know a better group to approach about this, let me know.

- Tim