Inventory of public lands followup

1 view

Erik Paulson

Nov 24, 2013, 2:06:58 PM11/24/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
One of the talks I enjoyed most at CityCamp was from Si Widstrand on the "network" he's trying to build, to help monitor and maintain all of the public land the City of Madison owns.

If you weren't able to make it to CityCamp, Si posted the notes from his talk here:

For his inventory database, I think some of the existing tools could either do most of, if not entirely everything he's looking for. A localwiki instance, maybe scoped down to just park and other public lands, could probably handle this, or as another idea standing up a limited instance of OpenStreetMap, where there'd be no worries about adding new local features to the Madison map could work. In both instances, it looks like exporting data into other formats is doable, either through their existing tools or API.

I'm more focused on the how to keep track of data collected side of things right now, and not necessarily on thinking about the organizing tools to coordinate volunteers.

Any thoughts or interest?

-Erik