A low-key meetup the weekend of National Day of Civic Hacking Sat May 31st?

Erik Paulson

May 12, 2014, 3:42:05 PM5/12/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
In response to a "Hey, we should get together" tweet, is there any interest in getting together on Saturday, May 31st, from say 10am-3pm for some hacking/chitchatting?

It's technically the weekend of "National Day of Civic Hacking":

but I'm not up for planning anything formal.

However, I think if we got folks together for something incredibly informal, like way less than even a BarCamp, there's some value there. No formal talks, but if a discussion starts getting interesting maybe we say "OK, in 15 minutes Steve is going to talk about Ember.js, keep hacking if you want"

There's enough time that if people wanted to organize a small team to work on something for a couple of hours, they've got the time to do it.

Alternatively, it might just be a good time for the Transit API folks to chat for a bit face-to-face, I'd like to whiteboard out some idea of distributed networking with Preston, maybe someone's got some new scrapers they're working on, all of which we can talk about in different corners of the room for a while and then just see where things go.

I'm pretty sure I can find some space at the UW, or maybe Horizon or 100State could take us in for a bit.

If a couple of folks say yes, we'll make it happen.

-Erik

Aaron Couch

May 12, 2014, 5:22:48 PM5/12/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
Yes :)

Aaron Couch
Director of Engineering for Civic Solutions
Offline: (215) 315-7915

Greg Tracy

May 13, 2014, 10:23:19 PM5/13/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
I'm good for a couple of hours.

I could also host at Propeller.

Marc Brakken

May 14, 2014, 9:12:47 AM5/14/14
to hackingmadison
Good call, Erik. We can definitely use Horizon, although if we want people to be able to come and go flexibly it may not be the most ideal space.

Thanks,
Marc

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Greg Tracy <gtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm good for a couple of hours.

I could also host at Propeller.

Marc Brakken
BuildFTW.org
MutualAidNetwork.org

Erik Paulson

May 14, 2014, 1:22:59 PM5/14/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
I've got three of the rooms we used for CityCamp 2012 reserved for Saturday May 31st at UW Computer Sciences. Let's just do it here.

I don't have the big auditorium reserved, but I could get it if we wanted it.

Here are some things I'm interested in thinking about:
- camlistore/#indieweb
- a unified event broker/aggregator for Madison - maybe do some work with upcoming.orghttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waxpancake/the-return-of-upcomingorg )
- elected officials / election results (http://opencivicdata.org/ & openelections.net)
- fixing the scraper I told Greg I'd fix
- a more flexible ideascale that could be deployed to a PaaS. The city used it for their budget conversations, I wanted to use it for a different city thing but they couldn't make it happen. I wish that the software was more under our control.

-Erik

Greg Tracy

May 14, 2014, 3:31:29 PM5/14/14
to hackingmadison

Aaron Couch

May 23, 2014, 3:00:53 PM5/23/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
I realized that I will be out of town that day :(

Davi P

May 29, 2014, 9:31:22 PM5/29/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
So is this happening Saturday? I'd like a little more formal blurb, with hours, location (how to get in building, find room), a bit of an agenda.

I could come by for a couple hours around 11. I'd be happy to work with anyone interested in getting data from the City Open Data. There's a nice Python API for the Socrata data store.

--Davi

Erik Paulson

May 29, 2014, 11:04:57 PM5/29/14
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
Yup, we're on. Sorry, with the google group, the google+ community/event, @hackingmadison twitter, and the meetup, not everything gets synced perfectly.

We're officially starting at 11, but I'll be at the CS building by 10am if anyone wants to get started early. I don't think we're going past 4, though if people want to move elsewhere and keep working, go for it!

We're at the Computer Science building, 1210 W Dayton St Madison. There will be signs, but come in the front door on Dayton St. (It's going to be basically the same rooms as we used for the CityCamp at the CS building in 2012)

No agenda. We've got two rooms with projectors and another room without one, so if you want to give a talk, announce it here, or on the google+ event ( https://plus.google.com/events/ck74rcuo5poetu7uojub455mhd0 ) or on twitter - let's use #hackMSN as the hashtag, along with the #hackforchange national hashtag.

I'll bring a couple of bottles of soda, a big tub of ice, a couple of bags of chips, and some cups/napkins/plates. Let's figure we'll order some food (pizza? subs? something else?) around 12:30 for a 1pm delivery. Bring a couple of bucks cash if you want in on the food order. Tweet at us if you're going to be late but want in on the food order :)

-Erik

Greg Tracy

May 29, 2014, 11:39:36 PM5/29/14
to hackingmadison