Visit to King George's Building

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Nov 5, 2013, 1:30:21 AM11/5/13
to hackerspacesg
We are visiting this unit at 3pm in a bit. Meet downstairs at King George's Building.

http://www.alantan.sg/13767290

Jacob

Nov 5, 2013, 3:36:48 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Heya all,

My office is in the same building :-P

Transport
MRT
5 minutes walking distance to Lavender MRT
Shuttle from Lavender MRT to City Square (Farrer Park MRT)

Buses
2, 7, 12, 13, 32, 33, 51, 63, 67, 80, 107, 107M, 133, 145, 175, 197, 961, 961C

As a side note, as I mentioned to Luther if it helps with the negotiations, the unit opposite the one they saw is owned by my relatives. We rented it out at $2,650 to Go Sushi last year. So can try negotiate a bit with the rental the agent quoted.

Food Options around the area

3 x Food court @ 24hours
Lavender Food Court at Eminent Plaza (Kok Kee wan ton mee, frog porridge etc etc)
Jalan Besar Stadium Foodcourt (nothing fanciful)
Kopitiam at Lavender MRT

Other foodcourt Not 24hrs)
Tai sun foodcourt @ Block 803 (opposite building)

Fast Food
Wendys at Lavender MRT

3rd Wave Coffee (nearer than previous Mustafa)
Chye Seng Huat @Thywitt
Loysel
The Bravery

Restaurant/Diner
Antoniette @ Penhas
Tiramisu Hero @Thywitt
Suprette @Jalan Besar

NTUC At Block 803 (Opposite Building)

Free Parking after 5pm around entire

If you folks are nearby, I will be dropping by very often :-P

Kai Hendry

Nov 5, 2013, 4:04:00 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Nov 5, 2013, 4:12:52 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

> On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:04 PM, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:
> > http://youtu.be/btifnN-sNK8

Thanks Kai for the video.

My only complaint is the fact that there is no lift for the level 3 unit and that there is a lack of power points in the main area.

A lot of hardware shops around. When I pass by in the night it seems very quiet.

This is a newly renovated unit. Everything looks spanking new.

It's a +1 from me

Aaron Tan

Nov 5, 2013, 4:13:45 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
From the video, I must say i like this place; newly renovated, with toilets and air conditioners.
Plus Jacob's insider info too.

Regards,
Aaron

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:
 http://youtu.be/btifnN-sNK8

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

Shiwen Yap

Nov 5, 2013, 4:14:16 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I fully support the move. Given that we are looking for an affordable place, this area seems to have the best cost/benefit ratio. It also has sufficient space to host a Makerspace and Hackerspace.

Tey Jin Hean

Nov 5, 2013, 4:15:50 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, Luther Goh Lu Feng
Should be nice. Would prefer this over the one near Mustafa

Aaron Tan

Nov 5, 2013, 4:17:04 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

William Hooi

Nov 5, 2013, 4:17:51 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Looks really nice and spacious. A bit too sterile but Im sure there're little corners you can carve out to make it cosy.
+1 here.

DrenBoy

Nov 5, 2013, 4:22:26 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, Luther Goh Lu Feng
Large space. Safe area. Commercial Location. Nice vibe. Food nearby. Air-con. Open Net Ready. 2 Toilets. One Ring To Rul... oops!

Alvin Ho

Nov 5, 2013, 4:26:26 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, Luther Goh Lu Feng
Thank u very much everyone who took the time 2 view the place, take & upload the video.

Looking at the video, before we move in, we should play our 1st football game on the floor! yes it's that big!
http://www.streetdirectory.com/sg/king-georges-building/318-king-georges-avenue-208563/4712_17035.html

Considering the price that luther told me (sorry i'm not allowed to repeat it here) &
the surrounding food & amenities &
vibe &
convenience on transport & ...

we have an amazing opportunity to turn this into a amazingly homely space! Let's do it .. i'm defintiely 101% in!

alf

Justin Lee

Nov 5, 2013, 4:29:22 AM11/5/13
to HackerspaceSG, Luther Goh Lu Feng
I like it. No issues here.

Regards,
Justin Lee

Stephan February

Nov 5, 2013, 4:50:54 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
+1. Looks good.

Stephan

Gibson Tang

Nov 5, 2013, 4:59:52 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, HackerspaceSG, Luther Goh Lu Feng
King George Building is not bad, my ex-office used to be there. As for food wise, there are makan places at the Lavender MRT there or Jln Besar that area

Sent from my iPhone

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Nov 5, 2013, 5:10:03 AM11/5/13
to Gibson Tang, hacker...@googlegroups.com

I am not that familiar with the locality. But just to cater to our friends and members with dietary restrictions, I supposed there are viable halal and vegetarian food options nearby?

Mats Engstrom

Nov 5, 2013, 5:14:28 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
If you end up with this venue I'll have a decent & cheap hotel nearby :-)  I stayed for a week at Tresor Tavern at Cavan Rd a year ago.  From what I remember the area is lacking any kind of "vibe" though - but there sure was a lot of hardware shops there so it's not bad for a makerspace.

DrenBoy

Nov 5, 2013, 5:22:49 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Best Eating Places around King George's Building

Disclaimer: in no particular order.

Windowsill Pies
  • 78 Horne Road (5 mins walk away)

Antoinette
  • (next street: Penhas Road)

Chye Seng Huat Hardware Store
  • (Coffeeshop, cold-brew, pourovers...)

Loysel's Toy
  • (a short walk to kallang basin, bike there!)

Suprette
  • Kam Leng Hotel (burgers anyone?)

Lavender Food Square
  • Eminent Plaza (Opens till 2-3 am, famous wonton noodles store)

Cheng Mun Chee Kee Pig Organ Soup
  • Yummy Offal Soup

Nanas Eating House (Halal)
  • Facing People's Association entrance, along King George's Ave

Qi-Ji (Halal)
  • ICA Building (Local delights)

Wendy's
  • Lavender MRT (V Hotel)

Kopitiam (Food court)
  • Lavender MRT (V Hotel) -- 24 hrs!

Coffeeshop
  • Blk 802 French Road

Broers Cafe - coffee! tell kiat, we sent you!

Dblshot Cafe
  • small coffee cafe, has a decent jumbo hotdog.

Sungei Road Laksa
  • Blk 27 Jalan Berseh #01-100 Jin Shui Kopitiam
  • Andre Chiang's (Celebrity Chef) pick for local food
  • Open 9am to 6pm (closed every 1st and 3rd Wednesday)

Hill Street Tai Wah Pork Noodle (aka Bak Chor Mee)
  • Block 466 Crawford Lane #01-12, Tai Hwa Eating House Singapore 190466

Seng Huat Bak Chor Mee
  • Seng Huat Eating House
  • 492 North Bridge Road (Opposite Bugis Jn)
  • Singapore 188737
  • Opened 24 hours

Gibson Tang

Nov 5, 2013, 5:22:49 AM11/5/13
to Luther Goh Lu Feng, hacker...@googlegroups.com
the food court at Lavender MRT has muslim food

Sent from my iPhone

Gibson Tang

Nov 5, 2013, 5:23:45 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, hacker...@googlegroups.com
There are a lot of small kopi shops ard the area catering to the working crowd ard there

Sent from my iPhone

Jacob

Nov 5, 2013, 5:24:15 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, Gibson Tang, Luther Goh Lu Feng
I have to profess I know more Halal Food places than Vegetarian Places

Vegetarian Food
Kwan Inn Vegetarian Restaurant Inside Tai Sun Food Court at Block 803 (Opposite Building, Behind NTUC Fairprice)
There may be 1 -2 more places around the blocks that I do not know of

Halal Food (5 Minutes walking)
Ananas Cafe below Hotel V (Lavender MRT)
A new Halal Store at same location just opened there I think (Lavender MRT)
Wendys (Lavender MRT)
Ayam Penyat Place with Mee Rebus/Mee Soto/Mee Siam Opposite Jalan Besar Stadium.

There are about 5 Foodcourts within a 5-10 minute walk radius and some small food places around.

Cheers

Jacob

Nov 5, 2013, 5:26:00 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Broers has sadly closed :-( :-(

Gibson Tang

Aelindgard

Nov 5, 2013, 5:56:48 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Looks good. If it's in budget why not?

Gibson Tang

Nov 5, 2013, 7:00:09 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
+1

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Aelindgard <hazwanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks good. If it's in budget why not?
Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

Michael Cheng

Nov 5, 2013, 10:23:06 AM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Looks good.
Regards,

Michael Cheng CM
Mobile: +65 9185 5166

Chow Loong Jin

Nov 5, 2013, 1:20:39 PM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 05:04:00PM +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:
> http://youtu.be/btifnN-sNK8

+1

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Chinmay

Nov 5, 2013, 8:29:47 PM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Based on the location looks like it won't be so noisy. Since the main room is buffered by the two "side rooms" that itself should be great for talks wrt noise.

Also I remember there was no shower, but I guess during day time we could just head down to the nearby swimming pool to use the shower facilities.

Lastly, since most of the space is a large contiguous area we'll need to figure out how we'll arrange the desks vs space for events. Having desks and talks in the same room would be disturbing to people who're working.. But these small details can be worked around in the future.

+1

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Nov 5, 2013, 9:03:57 PM11/5/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, Luther Goh Lu Feng
I am arranging with the agent to have another visit this afternoon. Please let me know if you are likely to be there. Thanks.

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Nov 5, 2013, 11:11:12 PM11/5/13
to hackerspacesg

Another visit today 230pm. We probly leave Hsg at 215pm. Let me know if u r coming

Sent from Android

Nov 6, 2013, 12:25:14 AM11/6/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

230pm is the meeting time at KGB.

Sent from Android

From: Juanita <juanita....@gmail.com>;
Nov 6, 2013, 9:33:46 PM11/6/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, Luther Goh Lu Feng
http://www.fairprice.com.sg/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreLocatorCmd?langId=-1&storeId=90001&catalogId=10051&storesView=ContentView&Corporate=Y&strType=FairPrice%20Supermarkets

this is the list of fairprice supermarkets. You can click on the appropriate menu on the left for finest, xtra, express & cheers. i'm not sure how up2date this is.

u can locate seng siong from here;
http://www.shengsiong.com.sg/pages/Store-Locator.html

& giant is here
http://www.giantsingapore.com.sg/locate-us.html

i vaguely recall that there was a shop & save around there not so long ago, but that might have either closed down or been "rebranded" as giant.

Thinking about it, we shd hv our "house warming" party in the new site rather than the old. In german, they call it einstand und ausstand!

enjoy!