Hackerspace/BootHK

Meekle

Aug 7, 2010, 5:07:36 AM8/7/10
to HackerspaceHK
So is there actually going to be a HackerspaceHK, or has that been
sort of rolled up into the BootHK thing?

Jonathan Buford

Aug 7, 2010, 5:21:11 AM8/7/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

We are looking into how to do a more social space. Ben Crox is looking into this, and we will see if it is possible to do this as part of BootHK.

Jon

Meekle

Aug 7, 2010, 7:46:52 AM8/7/10
to HackerspaceHK
That'd be great. I'd be far more interested in a hackerspace or a
sort of social co-op techshop or something than I would something that
revolves around obsessing about business. I just want to make cool
stuff and hang out with other people who do the same thing. I dunno-
I'm hanging out in San Francisco at the moment, so I'm a bit spoiled-
a few different hackerspaces, a techshop chain, and a really cool
industrial art space all in the same city with a bunch of really
creative, really talented and motivated people. We out number the
denizens of the Bay Area, so we must have at least enough people to
get something started.

On Aug 7, 2:21 am, Jonathan Buford <jon.buf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are looking into how to do a more social space. Ben Crox is looking into
> this, and we will see if it is possible to do this as part of BootHK.
>
> Jon

Jonathan Buford

Aug 10, 2010, 12:30:41 AM8/10/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

I initially looked into this, but making it break even will be difficult. I think we will expand both by opening new locations and by "franchising" existing facilities. This is a possibility with university facilities or some private facilities that I'm in contact with.

Cheers,

Jon

On Aug 7, 2010 7:46 PM, "Meekle" <themeek...@gmail.com> wrote:

That'd be great.  I'd be far more interested in a hackerspace or a
sort of social co-op techshop or something than I would something that
revolves around obsessing about business.  I just want to make cool
stuff and hang out with other people who do the same thing.  I dunno-
I'm hanging out in San Francisco at the moment, so I'm a bit spoiled-
a few different hackerspaces, a techshop chain, and a really cool
industrial art space all in the same city with a bunch of really
creative, really talented and motivated people.  We out number the
denizens of the Bay Area, so we must have at least enough people to
get something started.

On Aug 7, 2:21 am, Jonathan Buford <jon.buf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are looking into how to do ...

> On Aug 7, 2010 5:07 PM, "Meekle" <themeekleeff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> So is there actually going...

Meekle

Aug 17, 2010, 12:47:56 PM8/17/10
to HackerspaceHK
private facilities? is there anything like a techshop ( http://www.techshop.ws
) in HK? sometimes I think I miss half of what's going on around
there cause I can't speak cantonese or use it to search the web. As
per University facilities, HKU has some pretty decent ones, but they
seem reticent to let people use them just cause... but I am a
Mechanical Engineering student there, if that helps at all. I can
always attempt to liaise (though I'm not too sure how fond they are of
me...) or if you need a student to submit a request for something, let
me know.

On Aug 9, 11:30 pm, Jonathan Buford <jon.buf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I initially looked into this, but making it break even will be difficult. I
> think we will expand both by opening new locations and by "franchising"
> existing facilities. This is a possibility with university facilities or
> some private facilities that I'm in contact with.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon

Jonathan Buford

Oct 11, 2010, 6:42:05 AM10/11/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi, sorry, I let this conversation slip and was just going through my
inbox cleaning up and found it.

At the moment, I'm not aware of anything so comprehensive as techshop
here. If I had the funds, I'd consider doing something like that.

We've just opened the first BootHK location, and I think we will be
looking at future expansion soon if this facility turns over well.

One item that I'm looking at with potential for a more workshop like
space would be doing something out in one of the old industrial areas
Kowloon side, but I would guess that is at least 1-2 years out. This
may be tied to commercial art as a way of making it viable.

Cheers,

Jon