Startup project

Elaine Wong

May 7, 2012, 11:25:37 AM5/7/12
to HackJam
Hi

This is Elaine Wong. I'm currently a PhD student in interaction
design. I'm doing a startup project building a DIY electronic musical
instrument. I have no electronics engineering background and would
like to seek someone who can give advices on designing and building
the interface. A freelance engineer will be needed if the project is
finally awarded funding.

How can I get to know people with electronics engineering background
who are interested to work with innovative project? Can guests from
the public join the regular meeting on Tue?

Regards
Elaine

William Liang

May 7, 2012, 9:52:53 PM5/7/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hello Elaine,

Welcome and please do come to our regular HackJam meetings on Tuesdays at

100 Jervois St
Sheung Wan

It is open to the public. What you are doing can be an interesting collaboration project.

Please also consider joining our Facebook group "hackjamhk" and signing up to our introduction to electronics and Arduino starting on June 12 (Tues) at 630pm and goes on every Tues.

I look forward to meeting you.

PS. At which university are you doing your Ph.D. in interaction design?

-William Liang
--

-William Liang

YKY (Yan King Yin, 甄景贤)

May 8, 2012, 6:36:32 AM5/8/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Sounds similar to the idea of that other girl (forgot her name)... she wanted to make a laser-based guitar.

The electric guitar is pretty much a male instrument... the strings are hard to push and hurt your fingers...

So you want to make some kind of "soft-guitar"?

=)
YKY

William Liang

May 8, 2012, 11:21:18 AM5/8/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
The other woman was Cindy Luu. I think the laser guitar is a nice project. Are you interested?

-William

Elaine Wong

May 10, 2012, 2:16:33 AM5/10/12
to HackJam
Hi all

I want to make it a DIY instrument, assembled pieces. It should be
touchable interface. I think of LED touch sensible.

Elaine

On 5月8日, 下午11時21分, William Liang <bill.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The other woman was Cindy Luu. I think the laser guitar is a nice project. Are you interested?
>
> -William

William Liang

May 10, 2012, 6:11:20 AM5/10/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you come by some Tuesday an discuss in person?

-William Liang

William Liang

May 11, 2012, 12:04:24 AM5/11/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Elaine,

Take a look at the following list of articles

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=led+matrix+detect+touch&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

It seems possible to use an LED matrix as a primitive touch sensor as well.

-William

Elaine Wong

May 12, 2012, 2:06:08 PM5/12/12
to HackJam
Hi William

Thanks for the sharing. Is it easy to sense touch when the led light
is on or off? If it is off, the touch can turn it on or when it is
on, the touch can turn it off like toggle?

I also watch this video before about a led touch instrument
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCndD10OSM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Elaine

On 5月11日, 下午12時04分, William Liang <bill.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Elaine,
>
> Take a look at the following list of articles
>
> http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=led+matrix+detect+touch&ie=UTF-8&oe...
>
> It seems possible to use an LED matrix as a primitive touch sensor as well.
>
> -William

William Liang

May 13, 2012, 11:11:44 PM5/13/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
You can tell from the blinkng in the video that they measure "touch" while they blink off the LEDs to make measurement better.
--

-William Liang

YKY (Yan King Yin, 甄景贤)

May 14, 2012, 12:53:13 AM5/14/12
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
An explanation is here:

An interesting case of the duality of things...

Can differences in light intensity be measured?  Perhaps turn off the LEDs on the board but use another light source from above...?

Sorry I can't get involved in this project -- am too busy with my own... but i'll try to give some ideas... =)

KY