New Member

Matt Plummer

Oct 23, 2010, 10:32:41 AM10/23/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi HK Hackers,
My name is Matt and I would like to join your hackerspace.
I am a keen maker and a Design Technology teacher working at an ESF school here in HK.
I have been involved in many projects over the years with varying degrees of success and personal injury...
I guess my skill set is best described as broad with pockets of depth.

Regards,
Matt

Julian Lee

Oct 23, 2010, 12:10:57 PM10/23/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Great! Welcome to the group!

Just FYI, we also have a Facebook group (I think you'll find it if you search for HackJam.HK), which is gradually becoming the main forum where we schedule meetups and other events.

We do not have a physical space yet, and are working towards it - for now, we are arranging events and workshops, etc. For our first event, we are planning a trip to Shenzhen Electronics Market, and have setup a doodle to co-ordinate timing (http://doodle.com/25nmt65sc8zmwz36).

We also meet on a bi-weekly basis (every other Tuesday night), with our next meetup scheduled for the 2nd of Nov.

Looking forward to hacking with you!

Cheers,
Julian

Jonas S Karlsson

Oct 24, 2010, 10:18:23 AM10/24/10
to HackJam, j...@yesco.org
Hi all!

I've tried to search and find the FB group but their search doesn't
work. Here is a direct link I found - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_154309714604211

Anyhow, I'm in HK for some weeks, originally Swedish, moved to Silicon
Valley, missed having hacker style spaces (grew up with on in Sweden -
Lysator), so I worked with Mitch Altman and Jacob Appelbaum to start
one in SF. Noisebridge eventually found space - a great space in heart
of San Francisco. But I moved to Sydney. They didn't have one, meet
with people who were starting out - and now they have one!

I'm very excited about the idea of HK having a hackerspace. I'm
available during the week, daytime mostly for sure and evenings
probably too for anyone who wants to meetup, and hope to be able to
join you for ShenZhen outing. Just send email to me at j...@yesco.org.
I'm staying in Kowloon area.

I once did electronics, but moved more to computers programming, write
my own interpreters for my own languages, my own experimental wikis,
database kernels etc. In my work, I've worked with extreme scalability
and big data.

cheers,
Jonas

Jonathan Buford

Oct 24, 2010, 10:25:57 AM10/24/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, j...@yesco.org

Hi Jonas,

Also, check out boot.hk, it is a co-work and social space, something, just more focused on startups and tech.

If you are into startups, come by the Startup Monday meetup tomorrow night at BootHK at 7:30.

Cheers,

Jon

@jonbuford

On Oct 24, 12:10 am, Julian Lee <abluesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>

> Great!  Welcome to th...

Jonas S Karlsson (☯大鱼)

Oct 25, 2010, 9:30:33 PM10/25/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Hi jon,

I planned to go but got fever, so I'm not doing too much.

See if I can make it next Monday.

Jonas

Jonathan Buford

Oct 25, 2010, 9:33:22 PM10/25/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonas,

Drop by sometime this week when you are feeling better. People are
generally there from early to late. I'll be there most days this week
the whole day.

Cheers,

Jon

YKY (Yan King Yin, 甄景贤)

Oct 29, 2010, 10:41:52 PM10/29/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, tec...@yahoo.com.hk
Hey guys,

I've been very busy this week...  Just in case you need a supplier of hobbiest electronics kits, I can introduce you to Albert Lee (tec...@yahoo.com.hk).  I knew him through his book shop -- if you need some low-cost computer / math books printed in mainland China, he's the guy to call.  It may take a while to find the books tho.

[ CC to Albert ]
KY

Bill Liang

Oct 30, 2010, 11:07:50 PM10/30/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, tec...@yahoo.com.hk
Thanks YKY. I'll ask Albert next time we need to order stuff.

Jonas S Karlsson (☯大鱼)

Nov 15, 2010, 6:50:56 AM11/15/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

I tried going today but nobody there.

+(852)519-633-26

Jonathan Buford

Nov 15, 2010, 7:09:38 AM11/15/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

This week is probably a little hit or miss, there are several conferences over the next days. I'll be in from Wednesday on.

Perhaps drop me a line when you are coming over.

Cheers,

Jon

Jonas S Karlsson (☯大鱼)

Nov 15, 2010, 7:18:13 AM11/15/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Oh. Ok.

Hmm. What are these conferences? maybe something of interest...

Not sure where I can see what's happening in the hk tech scene.

Used to work for google but search engines have their limitations...

Jonas

Jonathan Buford

Nov 15, 2010, 7:38:34 AM11/15/10
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Check out startupshk.com. This week there are web and mobile conferences.

This weekend is BootUP!, a weekend incubation program, you can find out more at boot.hk

Just come by when you have time, there is a lot more going on.

Cheers,

Jon