How to select Umlaute not by swipe up but by long-tap?

Ben S.

Nov 19, 2019, 9:10:13 AM11/19/19
to hackerskeyboard
On my Android 7 system I setup 5-row compact layout US QWERTY only).

When I press certain keys (e.g. "a") an extension row appears north of it with some special chars like german Umlaut "ä".

As I remember it right in the past I only have to LONG-TAP on "a" to get automatically the first char ("ä" Umlaut).

Since a while I have to swipe up to extension row to get it.

Maybe I have changed something acidentially.

How can I get back to the old behavior: A long-tap should automatically select "ä" (a Umlaut)?

Thank you
Ben

Beverly Howard

Nov 19, 2019, 11:43:11 AM11/19/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
>> As I remember it right in the past I only have to LONG-TAP on "a" to get automatically the first char ("ä" Umlaut). <<

I'm interested in this as well.  It looks like the order of the selections has been changed so an accented "a" is now the first selection so, a long tap alone is going to select that character by default.

So, the question is, is there a way for users to edit the long tap options for a preferred order or perhaps even content.

This also would seem to be an ideal option to store often needed strings such as email addresses.  I've dealt with this for years by switching to a keyboard that offers string storage (Scanner Keyboard) but it would be nice to have string options in Hackers.

Hoping that this is already there but hidden.  Thanks again for a great tool,
Beverly Howard