Proposals: Full dictionary editing and customization, and removal or disabling of the 5-row compact layout (US QWERTY only)

Salvador Barqueros Provencio

Feb 23, 2022, 10:09:36 AM2/23/22
to hackerskeyboard
The following is because, as far as my experience with this is, there's no way to edit dictionaries. Therefore, if you add incorrect terms to them, you have to live with it, or delete the dictionary data. Neither solution is great, particularly because dictionaries always end up being customized.
Suffice to say, I don't know where dictionary files are stored right now. And anyway, if they are stored in some sort of jingolingo format, there's no way a human being could edit them without using a specific editor.
0K. What about storing dictionaries in some sort of easily editable text files? One term per line, and CR/LF or whatever line terminator in between terms. This way anyone could go to where dictionary text files are stored, edit them with a text editor, and fully edit and customize them super easily. At least for me this would be fairly convenient, as I know how proper text editing is done. If the above rules are met, it can be fairly easy and convenient for lots of people at least.
I understand it would not be for every Joe Sixpack, though. So, the app could have a small built in text editor for editing dictionary files, with simple verbatim search engine, and/or always storing terms in alphabetical order. And with an option to import and export dictionaries to text file, to allow them to be edited and customized somewhere else. This would allow people to use combined dictionaries.

Concerning the removal or disabling of the 5-row compact layout (US QWERTY only), I think there's no need to say that for most folks this layout is unnecessary. At least for me, I use the full 5-row layout in landscape, and the compact 4-row Gingerbread layout in portrait. I also use my volume keys to switch layouts, and honestly having to deal with a “pain in the arse layout in between” I and many others don't use is unnecessary. Honestly.
I think the last version without the “pain in the arse” 5-row compact (US QWERTY only) layout in between was v1.38.2 or around. I am not going to uninstall and reinstall to test it right now. That version also didn't have the option to swap the CTRL+A into CTRL+ALT+A. Mind you, I remember Windows uses CTRL+E for this purpose. This could also be offered as a safer option instead of CTRL+A.

Well, this is all 🤔 for now. Thanks and best regards,
Salvador