Symbols

R Evans

Dec 21, 2018, 2:02:21 PM12/21/18
to hackerskeyboard
Great keyboard, but there are a few features/keys that I don't know what they do (like the 4 squares at 45 degrees next to the Space Bar, and the circle next to the Fn key).  Are there any user docs that can be downloaded to explain the use of some of these extra keys?

BTW, the ₤ symbol is in the Full 5-row layout, press and hold on the 4\$ key for a list of currency related symbols.

A couple of other symbols that would be nice are Ω (on the letter o key?) and Σ (on the letter s key)

Beverly Howard

Dec 21, 2018, 3:19:37 PM12/21/18
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
>> like the 4 squares at 45 degrees next to the Space Bar <<

Might you mean triangles?  If so, they are cursor arrows that work the same as on the PC keyboard.  Know, however, that some apps might not support cursor moving commands.

>> the circle next to the Fn key <<

Been discussed here before, but can't remember... might search the forum messages.

>> the ₤ symbol is in... <<

It's also in the symbols...and elsewhere... press the "123" button, then <Alt>

>> Omega symbol <<

One way to do this would be to activate a keyboard such as Greek that contains this symbol.  However, Greek is not a language option on my devices.

Now that you mention it, it would be useful to be able to add special characters that are not included by default... for example, adding it to the "suggested punctuation" list.  (you made me curious, so, now I gotta tinker with that ;-)

...AND!!! it works.  Send yourself the characters you need from a PC (you can use "charmap" to find and copy them) then copy them to the phone's clipboard, switch to hacker's settings and paste them into suggested punctuation.  As usual, there may be an easier way.

Hope that this information is helpful.
Beverly Howard

Ron Evans

Jan 2, 2019, 2:54:41 PM1/2/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
I was referring to the icon to the left of the spacebar in the full 5-row layout. It is a large square divided into 4 smaller squares and turned 45 degrees. What does it do?

I was able to add the omega symbol to the 'suggested punctuation' list, but I had a hard time finding where this 'suggested list' is displayed.   Finally found it in the Word Suggestion Settings, Show suggestions is enabled, plus in Keyboard View Settings/Suggestions in Landscape mode: same as Portrait. Unfortunately along with flexibility can come some complexity. I'm pretty happy and impressed with the keyboard as it is setup now, but I'm sure there are some other gems that are available if I get some time to play around a bit.

Beverly Howard

Jan 2, 2019, 4:24:25 PM1/2/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
>> I was referring to the icon to the left of the spacebar in the full 5-row layout. It is a large square divided into 4 smaller squares and turned 45 degrees. What does it do? <<

I only have an educated guess.

When that icon is tapped, a blue underline appears, and my guess would
be that toggles the cursor arrows to pgup, pgdn, beginning, end.

Since most apps probably don't support those commands, I have no way
of verifying this hunch. You might try a Remote Desktop connection
and see it that assumption is correct in a windows app that supports
those commands. (please report back)

Beverly Howard

Jayaraman Raju

Jan 3, 2019, 6:54:45 AM1/3/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
Hi, What i want is , giving clues about the mail address, when sending to "to " address.
So, when i click reply in email and then using hackers keyboard, i want it remember or show in the top of the keyboard the email address , as being suggested when you use the actual gmail or otherclient.
I mean, if i type, circ, it shows suggested words, ,circle , circular etc to be choosen, a handy feature of the hackers keyboard combined with the dictionery of the language you choose.
I also request , what when you have tamil as language, in your key board, i do want the tamil dictionary as suggested in english words , in my regional language.
Moreover, the only one application, that resembles computer keyboard is hackers keyboard, and glad that tt came back to the surface after long time. There was lull, as suggestions were not noted first. Even i wrote appreciation and there were no updates. Suddenly f ound that your link is missed in google play.
hats off to the thinktank of the app

Ron Evans

Jan 3, 2019, 11:35:32 AM1/3/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm using a different version of the keyboard, but I have a small virtual LED in the upper right of the key that turns on and off, no blue underline.

I used Logmein to connect to my PC and opened a Word document. The status of the 'diamond' icon did not affect the cursor arrows, and I noticed that the even on the Fn page, the PgUp and PgDn keys did not work as expected but the Home and End keys did.  Oh well, some keys do not do anything I need, but so many do.  Maybe some day when I have more time I will explore the code and see what they do.

Thanks for your input.

Jayaraman Raju

Jan 15, 2019, 9:00:23 PM1/15/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
Hi, whatsapp introduced creation of message thro mic. When I just tab with hackers keyboard the mic could not be viewed.  Please make it
And also I want to get suggested Gmail address when I just start the first alphabet of recipient as in Gmail suggestions

Klaus Weidner

Jan 16, 2019, 1:12:51 PM1/16/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
The ❖ symbol is a Meta/Windows modifier key, it's mainly intended for remote desktop usage. I picked that glyph since it kind of resembles the four-panel Windows logo. Sorry that it's rather obscure.

Beverly Howard

Jan 16, 2019, 1:23:54 PM1/16/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
>> The ❖ symbol is a Meta/Windows modifier key, it's mainly intended for remote desktop usage. I picked that glyph since it kind of resembles the four-panel Windows logo. <<

Valuable information, especially for things such as <Win-D> for "show desktop"

Appreciated.

Beverly Howard

TP S

Jan 17, 2019, 2:59:03 AM1/17/19
to hackerskeyboard
Klaus, maybe consider using ⊞ (as is used on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_key ) instead of ❖? I think *nix keyboards have used the latter, but comparatively few folks are familiar w/ ❖. The ⊞ looks much more familiar.

Beverly Howard

Jan 17, 2019, 6:46:57 AM1/17/19
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
>> The ⊞ looks much more familiar. <<

I agree with Klaus on this one.  After knowing it's use, the one he chose is closer to the actual ms symbol.

The problem with both symbols is that they are not in the reference/help files.  If the symbols were on and defined in an easily referenced layout as well as with the searchable terms "symbol" "icon" and "labels" it would help.

Beverly Howard