What is circle key for

Fred Johnston

Aug 16, 2017, 10:47:05 AM8/16/17
to hackerskeyboard
Tell me, and others who read this, what you actually use the circle key for, and how you use it. To me it appears as a useless do-nothing key, but I am sure it must have some practical uses...

Darren Salt

Aug 16, 2017, 2:51:05 PM8/16/17
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
The intended use is as a select (dpad centre) button..

However, there is another use – if you long-press it, it works as a
Compose key, e.g. followed by ‘.’ ‘.’ gives ‘…’ (ellipsis, rather than
three full stops), or ‘t’ ‘m’ for ‘™’. You can use it to add accents
to letters too, e.g. ‘e’ apostrophe for ‘é’, although that one's
probably better done by long-pressing ‘e‘.

(There are plenty more such sequences; they're all documented in the
source code but probably should be externally documented too.)

I have a branch which allows entry of arbitrary Unicode code points
(Compose, Escape, hex digits, Space/Return). It's occasionally useful…

Klaus Weidner

Aug 17, 2017, 12:49:24 PM8/17/17
to hackers...@googlegroups.com
That feature sounds useful, can you point me to the branch for merging? I was vaguely thinking about a graphical scrollable Unicode selector by page, but that would be a lot more work.

TP S

Oct 22, 2019, 8:37:15 PM10/22/19
to hackerskeyboard
KW, you probably already found it, but it's https://github.com/dsalt/hackerskeyboard. 🙇🏾‍♂️