Mailing lists and THW expansion

Paul Wilson

Jan 20, 2015, 10:40:26 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi again everyone,

It has occurred to me that we have some namespace collision with this mailing list...

This list was created at a time when The Hacker Within (THW) was a local organization at the University of Wisconsin, and thus served only/primarily that community.  Today we have a number of nascent or growing "chapters" at various locations around the US and the world.  At the same time, many of the members of this list have spread to other locations around the US/globe.

Thus,
  • I am guessing that each of those chapters has developed their own mailing lists (since I don't see any traffic!).
  • I personally think there is value in an overarching mailing list that connects interested parties from any geographical location.

I think the U. Wisconsin THW chapter needs its own list leaving us with 2 options:

  1. keep this list for UW and create a new global list
  2. keep this list for global discussion and create a new UW list

Does anyone out there have any strong opinions?

Paul

--
-- ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ --
Paul Wilson ~ UW-Madison ~ 608-263-0807 ~ cal: http://bit.ly/pphw-cal

punk...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 10:44:38 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, hacker...@googlegroups.com
Third option: leave it as is. I like receiving occasional news from back "home" and it is nice to know what is happening with THW on Madison.

Puneet Kishor
Science and Data Policy, Creative Commons

pshr...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 10:46:25 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

At a slight inconvenience to us locally, I think it would be best to leave the global list as is so that outside branches can find it later if necessary. Maybe we can make this change after the Jan 30th meeting so we can remind everyone about the change.

Pat

Patrick Shriwise
608-446-8173

Paul Wilson

Jan 20, 2015, 10:51:41 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Puneet,

You would still be allowed to be a member of both lists.  They would not be closed lists, just serving different purposes/communities.

Paul

Samuel A. Hurley

Jan 20, 2015, 10:59:32 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
+1 to keeping it as is.

Katy Huff

Jan 20, 2015, 11:08:00 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

For what it's worth, UCB has ucb-hack...@lists.berkeley.edu. Anyone can join it if they want to see what's going on in Berkeley. (We made it a Berkeley list rather than good game ours for some reason that Rachel might remember). I like the idea of making this current one the global list and making a new one for  local Madison stuff, but I'm biased, as I've left Madison. Anyway I'll probably sign up for a local Madison list is created... Just to keep up with you folks.

punk...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 11:08:43 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, hacker...@googlegroups.com
I want to follow all kinds of THW activities, but that of Madison in particular.

I may post something at times and it may be of interest to everyone but I don't want to post to two lists.

I am lazy, impatient and full of hubris (http://threevirtues.com).

I have a book written about me for a reason (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Argumentative_Indian)

Puneet Kishor
Science and Data Policy, Creative Commons

Katy Huff

Jan 20, 2015, 11:08:47 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

(good game ours = Google groups)

Sorry about the autocorrect.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hacker-within.

-- ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ --
Paul Wilson ~ UW-Madison ~ 608-263-0807 ~ cal: http://bit.ly/pphw-cal
Professor, Engineering Physics. ~ http://cnerg.engr.wisc.edu
Faculty Director, Advanced Computing Infrastructure ~ http://aci.wisc.edu

Katy Huff

Jan 20, 2015, 11:10:04 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Why don't you care about Berkeley?

:(

Right in the heart puneet.

rachel slaybaugh

Jan 20, 2015, 11:25:38 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

I think this would be a great global group. I'd prefer if Madison made their own. I love you guys, but I am unlikely to want to read about your weekly meetings, and then I will just stop reading the email and miss anything global.

It never occurred to me to make a google group - I made a berkeley one since we're at berkeley. I could change it since our listserv manager is so crappy?

Rachel

Samuel A. Hurley

Jan 20, 2015, 11:43:03 AM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
If Madison is splitting off, should we have a 'global' chapter of THW? Do Google Hangout talks and stuff like that? Make a basic website with resources for people and links to various school's chapters? Strictly informal of course. No hierarchy in the realm of hackers.

-S

Tim Tautges

Jan 20, 2015, 12:53:59 PM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Too funny. I resolve to try to always refer to google groups as good game ours in the future, and if anybody asks me
what that means, I'll refer them to you.

- tim

On 01/20/2015 10:08 AM, Katy Huff wrote:
> [...]
>> from any geographical location.
>>
>> I think the U. Wisconsin THW chapter needs its own list leaving us with 2 options:
>>
>> 1. keep this list for UW and create a new global list
>> 2. keep this list for global discussion and create a new UW list
>>
>> Does anyone out there have any strong opinions?
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> --
>> -- ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ --
>> Paul Wilson ~ UW-Madison ~608-263-0807 <tel:608-263-0807> ~ cal:http://bit.ly/pphw-cal
>> Professor, Engineering Physics. ~http://cnerg.engr.wisc.edu
>> Faculty Director, Advanced Computing Infrastructure ~http://aci.wisc.edu
>>
>> --
>>

>> --
>
> --
> -- ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ --

Puneet Kishor

Jan 20, 2015, 8:15:20 PM1/20/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

> On Jan 20, 2015, at 11:10 AM, Katy Huff <katy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why don't you care about Berkeley?

One never forgets the first love, be it a place or a programming language.

Anthony Scopatz

Jan 22, 2015, 6:04:36 PM1/22/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
First loves aside, I am all for keeping this a global list. I have also joined the Berkeley list (2nd love?). If UW needs its own list too, that wouldn't be bad.

Matthew McCormick

Jan 22, 2015, 6:05:16 PM1/22/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
+1!