Talk: Resilience at Exascale, Wed May 1, 11am

Alan De Smet

Apr 24, 2013, 2:31:37 PM4/24/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi!  I'm Alan De Smet. I'm with the Center for High Throughput Computing on campus.  I'm hoping at least some of you know us as the people responsible for HTCondor (formerly Condor).  We're hosting a public talk on the challenges of exascale computing next Wednesday over at the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery.  As science becomes increasingly compute-bound, the challenges of scaling computing will impact more and more research. The full announcement follows.

(Oh, and if you're not familiar with the CHTC, we do a lot of things, but I suspect most interestingly to campus UW-Madison researchers is that we give free computing time for research!  http://chtc.cs.wisc.edu/ )

----

Resilience at Exascale

Marc Snir
Director, Mathematics and Computer Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory

Wednesday, May 1st, 2013
11:00 AM – Noon

H.F. DeLuca Forum
Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery
330 N. Orchard St.

It is often feared that the growing frequency of hardware errors will be a major obstacle to the deployment of exascale systems.  The Department of Energy held several workshops to study this issue, including a week-long workshop organized by the Institute for Computing Sciences. This workshop brought together leading researchers in circuits, architecture, operating systems and applications. The workshop produced a report that indicates possible scenarios for handling resilience at exascale and required research to achieve progress in this area. Snir will discuss this report, indicating the questions it raises and research directions it identifies.

----

Marc Snir is Director of the Mathematics and Computer Science Division at the Argonne National Laboratory and Michael Faiman and Saburo Muroga Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He currently pursues research in parallel computing.

He was head of the Computer Science Department from 2001 to 2007.  Until 2001 he was a senior manager at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center where he led the Scalable Parallel Systems research group that was responsible for major contributions to the IBM SP scalable parallel system and to the IBM Blue Gene system.

Marc Snir received a Ph.D. in Mathematics from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1979, worked at NYU on the NYU Ultracomputer project in 1980-1982, and was at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1982-1986, before joining IBM. Marc Snir was a major contributor to the design of the Message Passing Interface. He has published numerous papers and given many presentations on computational complexity, parallel algorithms, parallel architectures, interconnection networks, parallel languages and libraries and parallel programming environments.

Marc is Argonne Distinguished Fellow, AAAS Fellow, ACM Fellow and IEEE Fellow. He has Erdos number 2 and is a mathematical descendant of Jacques Salomon Hadamard.

----

Hosted by the Center for High Throughput Computing