Re: UW-Madison Chapter?

Katy Huff

Dec 5, 2014, 1:41:51 PM12/5/14
to Adam Frees, ucb hacker within, hacker...@googlegroups.com, Paul Wilson
Wonderful! I think the Madison chapter could use an injection of just this kind of enthusiasm! I have CC'd the main hacker-within@googlegroups listhost as well as Professor Paul P.H. Wilson. He is the THW paterfamilias and a Nuclear Engineering professor at UW. I would definitely recommend starting your journey by having a chat with him and his group.

Let me know if there's anything we can help with from here at Berkeley!
Katy

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Adam Frees <fr...@wisc.edu> wrote:
Hey, my name is Adam Frees, I'm a physics grad student at UW-Madison. My fellow grad students have been complaining for a while that although we all know how to throw some code together to make things work, very few of us have ever learned about how to code "properly," and how to work on large projects effectively.

We were thinking about starting up a club to talk about how to improve coding techniques, and then we heard about the Hacker Within. Does anyone know what the status of the UW-Madison chapter is? We'd love to try and coordinate any efforts going on now to get the club up and running!

Thanks,
Adam

Paul Wilson

Dec 5, 2014, 4:57:13 PM12/5/14
to Katy Huff, Adam Frees, ucb hacker within, hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hello Adam,

It would be great to chat about how to reignite the Hacker Within here in Madison.  I do have some students in my group who would be interested, but I'm definitely looking for someone with the energy to take the lead!

Paul
--
Paul Wilson ~ UW-Madison ~ 608-263-0807 ~ cal: http://bit.ly/pphw-cal

Grant W. Petty

Dec 5, 2014, 7:14:46 PM12/5/14
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

I'm faculty and strongly support the idea of getting something like HW going again.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to offer much more than moral support and a willingness to publicize it to the students of my department.

  Grant Petty
  Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences