[late starter] Anyone using the 1980s SICP lectures on youtube to compliment the book?

dmix

Apr 16, 2009, 6:22:50 PM4/16/09
to Hacker News Reads SICP
I just started to dive into SICP, I somehow missed this groups
formation on HN.

Coming from Ruby and I am getting a lot out of this - it changing the
way I look at programming (and FP). I missed a lot of the traditional
CS material, being self-taught, at least this way I am getting it from
the best sources that I wouldn't have gotten from any local college.

I am reading the PDF and trying to watch 1 lecture a night on youtube.
Its the original MIT class from the 80s.

For example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQCx4QIUV70

I saw the more recent Berkley videos but I really like how the
material is tought in this version. He runs through it quickly and
lets you fill in the gaps in learning LISP.

Anyone else taking this route?

Nicolás Canevali

Apr 16, 2009, 9:30:50 PM4/16/09
to hacker-news...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I've watched those before I got started with the book. I'd recommend watching the old ones.